Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

The first thing I noticed is that this game uses the face buttons for attacking vs. the bumper/trigger. There seems to be no way to change it, too. That suuuuuuuucks for anyone who has played any Souls games before. Pretty sure I'm going to die a million times because this game feels the need to fight against thousands of hours of muscle memory...for reasons.

The first thing I noticed is that this game uses the face buttons for attacking vs. the bumper/trigger. There seems to be no way to change it, too. That suuuuuuuucks for anyone who has played any Souls games before. Pretty sure I'm going to die a million times because this game feels the need to fight against thousands of hours of muscle memory...for reasons.
You could change them in Nioh 2 but I think it took a few patches all you had to do is goto setting and change the setup with a few different layouts.

everything I've read says the complete opposite...much easier than any From Software title or even the Nioh games...it's a not a very difficult game at all...the graphics, story and PC performance are also underwhelming...where the game does shine is in its combat but even then it seems like a much less complex version of their Nioh games...apparently they wanted Wo Long to be more accessible so they made it much easier...they also continue to make the world a series of levels versus making it an interconnected world like the Souls games
The only Souls game with an (mostly) interconnected world, is Dark Souls 1.

You could change them in Nioh 2 but I think it took a few patches all you had to do is goto setting and change the setup with a few different layouts.

Yup, it never did work 100% correctly (some things wouldn't remap at all) but at least it was an option. I probably won't mess with this very much until either the devs (or a 3rd party) can provide me with something. Luckily Atomic Heart is also on Gamepass, so I'm just gonna play that.

The only Souls game with an (mostly) interconnected world, is Dark Souls 1.

DS1 has the most logical interconnected world...DS3 and DS2 don't fold on top of each other but I woud still say it's still connected (Sekiro and Bloodborne as well)...even DS2 at its least connected is still better (in my opinion) than Nioh's (and Wo Long) mission based structure where you just click on a random map level

Last edited:
does Wo Long have fully customizable kb/m support?...or are some actions hard coded into certain keys?

You can use Steam Input to remap the controls.

Early Purchase Bonus​

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Baihu Armor
Note: Added as a Limited Time Bonus if the game is purchased by March 16th, 2023
Note: This content may be made available for purchase at a later date.

Baihu_EN.jpg

So is it really true that this game is on the easy side for a Souls-like? As long as it's no more difficult than DS3 or Elden Ring, I think I'll buy it. But I just want to be sure because I have no interest fighting the same boss 100 times in a row.

I tried the demo for a bit and made it past the first boss, but it did take me a good 15+ tries. Never really played a parry focused game like this, but it feels really satisfying when you get the timing down.

So is it really true that this game is on the easy side for a Souls-like? As long as it's no more difficult than DS3 or Elden Ring, I think I'll buy it. But I just want to be sure because I have no interest fighting the same boss 100 times in a row.

I tried the demo for a bit and made it past the first boss, but it did take me a good 15+ tries. Never really played a parry focused game like this, but it feels really satisfying when you get the timing down.

I hear it's pretty easy for Souls vets...newcomers might have a bit of trouble but with the Morale system it's easy to get over-leveled

On first playthroughs of Souls likes I usually will try a boss once or twice and summon help because like you I don't have the patience to keep retrying but will try on my own on NG+ runs.

They had about a half dozen copies for PS5 I almost picked one up but it was the 59.00 price tag.

I'm reconsidering getting this...everything I'm hearing sounds like this was Team Ninja's attempt at making a dumbed down, more accessible version of Nioh meets Sekiro...once again the combat sounds like the strong point but the weak level design, repetitive enemy design, stripped down mechanics, poor graphics and poor PC customization makes me want to give the Nioh games a try over Wo Long...how do their PC ports keep getting worse instead of better?...at least From Software has improved their PC ports with every game since Dark Souls 1

Steam reviews are abysmal. I for one didn’t like Nioh and only played Sekiro for a couple hours before I refunded, just didn’t like the feel of it, also wasn’t looking forward to basically being forced to parry. This is probably a skip for me.

I'm actually really liking this game now that I'm deeper into it. Yeah the PC port leaves a lot to be desired. But gameplay wise, this shit is addicting. I can't put it down. Help.

Not playing with kb/m but I checked the settings and it looks like you can remap everything...

thanks...looks like the default key for the Spirit Attack function involves 2 keys...I wonder if it can be remapped to a single key...I hate having to use multiple keys for 1 action

thanks...looks like the default key for the Spirit Attack function involves 2 keys...I wonder if it can be remapped to a single key...I hate having to use multiple keys for 1 action
Yep, you can remap to a single key. If I were you I wouldn't buy until they fix the mouse controls. Right now it's unplayable with mouse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty- Review After 100%

nice review of the PC version...the tutorial/prologue/1st boss is the most difficult part of the entire game...

Last edited:
nice review of the PC version...the tutorial/prologue/1st boss is the most difficult part of the entire game...

I'm like 10 hours in and so far I agree. I'm still using the starter weapon and I haven't even upgraded it, nor have I upgraded my armor. And yet I'm still breezing through it. This is MUCH easier than a Souls game. Still fun though.

Mostly Negative with over 9000! and 12,000+ total reviews so far (steam) ouch! Always looked a little bland to me anyhow.

Mostly Negative with over 9000! and 12,000+ total reviews so far (steam) ouch! Always looked a little bland to me anyhow.

most of the negative reviews probably have to do with performance on PC more than the actual gameplay...Team Ninja really needs to hire some good PC programmers

It took a while but the difficulty has jumped tremendously in an area called "The Battle of Hulaoguan Pass." It recommends level 37 and I'm 33 so I guess I have some farming to do. But damn... So many enemies spamming red attacks that can just one shot me. Had to quit out of frustration.

It took a while but the difficulty has jumped tremendously in an area called "The Battle of Hulaoguan Pass." It recommends level 37 and I'm 33 so I guess I have some farming to do. But damn... So many enemies spamming red attacks that can just one shot me. Had to quit out of frustration.
Yeah NIOH 2 was too hard for me I just gave up and people say NIOH is the better game?

Yeah NIOH 2 was too hard for me I just gave up and people say NIOH is the better game?

To me, Nioh was more straightforward. It worked like a Souls game. You just hop into the game and start playing. I tried playing Nioh 2 and they overwhelmed me with too many mechanics. Super attacks, transformations, breaks, counters, etc. etc. They go ham on you showing you dozens of different things you can do (all requiring an odd mix of holding buttons and pressing others) but offer zero context for anything. Rather than telling you why you'd want to do something, they just keep introducing new shit and tell you to press the buttons onscreen. The various meters, icons, etc. governing those moves aren't explained either. It's an awful tutorial. Once you start playing the game, you don't really know what to do when, either. I tried it 2-3 times but have bailed every time.

Did you pick up Wo Long? I picked up Wild Hearts instead waiting on Bleak Faith. I died alot in Nioh 2 I got pretty far in the game.

I hear Nioh 2 improves upon the first game in almost every respect...I want to give it a try one day but I also want to play Nioh 1 first...the reason I keep putting them off is the overall world and level design look awful...along with the underwhelming graphics, too much loot management, mission based map structure and repetitive enemy types...but I hear the combat system is more in-depth and better than the Souls formula so that alone is the reason why I want to play

Did you pick up Wo Long? I picked up Wild Hearts instead waiting on Bleak Faith. I died alot in Nioh 2 I got pretty far in the game.

I installed it via Gamepass, but I didn't like that I couldn't remap the controls. There are methods to get around that (remapping my entire gamepad so everything is wonky), but I'm not too excited about that. I'm holding out for an update that lets me either remap things correctly, or I may just never play it. It's tough to fight thousands of hours of muscle memory because a developer refuses to accommodate the industry-standard Souls control scheme.

I forgot about that yeah all the Nioh games were like that it took the Nioh Remastered to come out before it was fixed.

New patch improves mouse movement and addresses several bugs that were causing crashes.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1448440/view/3673287025902379172

Adjustments
・Improved the camera controls when using a mouse.
・Made it possible for guest players in Recruit (online multiplayer) sessions to skip cutscenes and leave the session after boss battles.

Major Bug Fixes
・Fixed crash-prone situations that occurred in certain environments.
・Fixed white flickers that occurred in certain environments.
・Fixed a bug that caused some resolutions to not be selectable in certain environments.
・Fixed a problem in which the wrong graphics card was selected to run the game in certain environments.
・Fixed a bug that caused a crash when running the game with a certain screen resolution setting, and then applying a specific filter in Photograph mode and exiting.
・Fixed a bug in which the player would not be able to progress beyond the area where they encounter Zhao Yun in the main battlefield “Two Chivalrous Heroes” if the saved data from the demo version had a specific progress status and was transferred to the full version.
・Fixed a bug in which the special effects of equipment in the storehouse would be lost if the saved data from the demo version was transferred to the full version.
・Fixed a bug that prevented the player from re-entering the boss area of the main battlefield “Fall of the Corrupted Eunuch” if both the player and Baishe had been defeated at the same time.
・Fixed a bug that prevented the player from obtaining the trophy/achievement “Awakening of the Unscrupulous Hero” during online multiplayer sessions.
Note: After the update is applied, this trophy/achievement can be obtained by clearing any of the main or sub battlefields.
・Fixed a bug that caused a crash when hitting enemies with the attacks “Falling Leaves” and “Scattered Leaves” while using dual halberds that had been decorated.
・Fixed a bug that caused some graphics settings to be reset to the default settings each time the game was launched.
・Fixed some other minor bugs.

I'm on level 12 out of 16 and still greatly enjoying this. That being said, I'm really noticing the lack of enemy variety at this point. Lots of copied and pasted enemies across chapters. They really don't pose a threat anymore since I memorized their patterns in earlier chapters. And you get such powerful weapons that you really don't even need to upgrade them. It's all just a bit too easy for a Souls-like.

The game also has a very repetitive structure. You start a mission, run around finding flags, then open the boss door and fight the boss. Small cutscene plays, next level begins. Rinse and repeat. It's more basic than a Fromsoft game in that there's no interconnected world. Instead you have 16 levels separated by loading screens. Which is fine... But it just feels smaller scale than having an interconnected world.

All that being said, it's very addicting. The fast paced nature and fluid combat make me never want to put it down. I keep telling myself I'm only going to play one level and then I end up playing 3.

Another patch. Seems they're working quickly to address issues.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1448440/view/3712694237934178056

Adjustments/Additional Features
・Improved the camera controls when using a mouse.
・Improved the tilting scroll wheel controls.
・Improved the lighting controls when using a mouse in Photograph mode.
・Added a feature that automatically restock arrows/projectiles and consumable items from the storehouse upon accessing a Battle Flag.
・Made it possible for players to switch lock-on to another target during the animation sequence for Fatal Strikes, deflects (in response to an enemy’s Critical Blow), and Divine Beasts Summons.
・Made it possible for players to open the Travel screen from the screen that appears after clearing a battlefield (except for main battlefields cleared for the first time), and then select which battlefield they would like to go to next.
・Added the option to return to the briefing screen before starting Co-op and the option to try the same battlefield again, to the screen that appears after completing a Co-op session.
・Changed the player’s Morale Rank to 20 while at the base, the hidden village.
・Made the following adjustments to the difficulty of the sub battlefield “The Tiger's Loyal Subjects”:
 ・Adjustments to the AI
 ・Adjustments to damage taken from Critical Blows, the parameters for the increase/decrease of Spirit, etc.
 ・Upward adjustment of the Morale Points acquired by players

Major Bug Fixes
・Fixed flickering that occurred in certain environments.
・Alleviated the issue of rendering distortions in certain environments.
・Fixed a bug in which the time it took to successfully provide aid was different depending on the frame rate settings.
・Fixed a bug that could sometimes prevent key configurations from being saved under certain conditions.
・Fixed a bug that caused key configurations to be reset to their default values when screen resolution was changed.
・Fixed the issue on AE-5 Plus and AE-7 sound cards that required the Direct Mode to be enabled for the audio to play.
・Fixed a bug in which the player sometimes remained transparent (in appearance only) after the effects of “Unseeable Form” wore off.
・Fixed a bug that caused unnecessary text to be displayed in certain UIs in the 120FPS setting.
・Fixed a bug that allowed players to enter areas outside of the current stage from certain locations in some stages.
・Fixed a bug that caused characters to become stuck (in the ground/surrounding objects) in certain locations in some stages, making it impossible for players to progress.
・Fixed a bug that caused the enemies in some stages to be pushed out of the stage, making it impossible for players to progress.
・Fixed a bug that caused guest players in Recruit to become unable to progress upon entering a certain house in the sub battlefield “The Lost Sacred Artifact” until the host player opened the door.
・Fixed a bug that made it possible to exchange items with a Shitieshou every time the player resumes the game from a Battle Flag in the sub battlefield “Fate of the Entertainer.”
・Fixed a bug that occurred during the battle against Zhang Liang in the main battlefield “Village of Calamity” where, if the player went into Spirit Disruption right when they defeated Zhang Liang’s first form, they would remain in Spirit Disruption at the start of the battle against his second form.
・Fixed a bug that caused the Spirit Disruption of “Embodiment of Demonic Qi” to last longer.
・Fixed a bug that could make it impossible for the player to proceed if they summoned the Divine Beast Yinglong right as they died.
・Fixed a bug in which the magnitudes of special effects on emptied embedment slots would sometimes change when loading save data.
・Fixed a bug that prevented embedment on locked equipment.
・Fixed a bug that would sometimes provide fewer embedment slots than there should have been on battlefield clear rewards and accessories in the “Path of the Rising Dragon” difficulty level.
・Fixed a bug that allowed users to sell equipment registered to favorites.
・Fixed a bug that caused the effects of the special effect Set Bonus Requirement Mitigation to accumulate.
・Fixed a bug that prevented players from being able to skip cutscenes upon using certain controls.
・Fixed a bug that caused the number of arrows/projectiles in the player’s inventory to duplicate under certain conditions.
・Fixed a bug that would sometimes make it impossible for the player to obtain some trophies/achievements. Note: After the update is applied, these trophies/achievements can be obtained by clearing any of the main or sub battlefields.
・Fixed a bug that prevented players from saving the parameters for the Upper Lip Edge Thickness and the Lower Lip Edge Thickness after selecting Save in Character Creation.
・Fixed other minor bugs.

I beat it. 31.5 hours total. Not bad for $1 (Gamepass trial).

I'd probably give it a 7/10 overall
First half 8.5/10

Reason it dips down is because it gets really damn repetitive. I don't think the second half of the game even has any new enemy types besides the bosses. Also the story is kind of meh but who plays these games for the story?

Totally worth the playthrough though for anyone on the fence.

I beat it. 31.5 hours total. Not bad for $1 (Gamepass trial).

I'd probably give it a 7/10 overall
First half 8.5/10

Reason it dips down is because it gets really damn repetitive. I don't think the second half of the game even has any new enemy types besides the bosses. Also the story is kind of meh but who plays these games for the story?

Totally worth the playthrough though for anyone on the fence.

how was the overall difficulty?

how was the overall difficulty?
Easier than a Souls game IMO. I played pure melee with parry only (no blocks) and didn't upgrade my weapons or armor a single time. Still kinda breezed through it.

But it's not what I would call easy either. I wouldn't recommend this to a casual gamer. It definitely requires fast reflexes and good rhythm.

I think I'm gonna try Sekiro next now that I have some confidence built up from Elden Ring, DS3, and Wo Long.

I think I'm gonna try Sekiro next now that I have some confidence built up from Elden Ring, DS3, and Wo Long.

that's crazy that you didn't even upgrade your weapon

Sekiro will be the ultimate challenge!...without question the hardest From Software game...and no co-op or NPC crutches to help the player...you need to really 'git good' ;)

Back