WMP600N prevents box from booting

Escher

Limp Gawd
Something weird is going on here. I just pulled a WMP54GS from a box that was working fine and replaced it with a WMP600N, both PCI wireless cards. However, the machine won't boot with the WMP600N in it. Power goes on, fans spin, lights go blinky, but there's no video signal. Pull the card, everything works fine. Put it back in, same freaking deal. Move it around to different slots, no bueno.

What. In. The. Freak ?!?

There's not much hardware in the box, so I can't imagine it's pulling too much juice. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Almost got it to POST before it froze and just sounded a nice long beeeeeeeeep until I killed the power. This is freaking annoying. And to return the stupid thing is going to cost me a 15% restocking fee. Anger ensues.

Where did you buy it from? Did you try the card in another machine? It could be possible that your card is defective.

Got it at the local OfficeMax. Haven't tried a second machine yet. Not sure my Shuttle box has a PCI slot. I'll check and update.

Damn. Works fine in my Shuttle box. So the card would appear to be fine. I know the other computer is fine since the old wireless card works fine in it ... but the two "fine" things don't like each other.

Any thoughts?

Ok, so I got ahold of Linksys's live agent web support last night around 2am (joy). After repeatedly having to tell "Sherrie" that it didn't matter what my OS was due to not being able to get a BIOS POST, the only satisfaction I was able to get was an elevated case where someone will contact me in 24-72 hours.

Seriously? You can't tell me that there's a major hardware difference between the WMP54GS and WMP600N that could possibly be causing the hardware incompatibility? She actually said they don't have that kind of information on their own products. Unbelievable and highly annoying.

I've been building for 20 years and so have most of my friends and while I've seen some weird things, I think is by far one of the oddest. Surely there's a ubergeek among us that's seen something like this before?

Did some digging around. Seems the motherboard I have is an ECS P4S5A which supports the PCI 2.2 specification. If the WMP600N is a PCI 2.3 card, would it work in a 2.2 slot? From what I've read, it seems like it should be fine, but could it be the root of this evil plaguing me? The WMP54GS that works is listed as a PCI 2.2/2.3 compliant card, but nowhere can I find the PCI spec for the WMP600N.

Back