"WMC support for Netflix ends September 15", apparently

waderunner

[H]ard|Gawd
I received a pop-up message in WMC this morning that support for the Netflix add-on will end Sept 15, 2015, as in it won't be available at all:

"As of September 15, 2015, Netflix will no longer be available on Windows Media Center. Please visit devices.netflix.com to see the many devices that support Netflix today."

The add-on, while less functional than Netflix in a browser, is nice because you can navigate the interface using a remote controller.

With the loss of WMC in Windows 10, and now this, the days of WMC appear to be waning.

Except for those of us who currently have to continue using it. For DVR functionality with a cablecard, WMC is the only option for any programming that is not copy-freely.

Hopefully by then the HDHomerun DVR will operational. The copy protected content is the only reason I'm using WMC. I also have a smart tv so not using netflix wmc app isn't the end of the world.

By the time a solution comes out to replace windows media center for copy protected content, cable TV will be dead.

I was pretty bummed to see the message just now and ran straight here. Just one less reason to keep WMC. But since I watch netflix and my stored content more frequently than cable I may have to move over to Kodi. Does Kodi have a netflix plug in? Anyone here use Kodi to watch non-protected content with a cablecard?

Except for those of us who currently have to continue using it. For DVR functionality with a cablecard, WMC is the only option for any programming that is not copy-freely.

Netflix is included with everything these days. No need to use the WMC severly limited and never been updated app.

yeah, but it is a bummer..... the crappy app has forced us to move away from it as well.

The 1 stop HTPC with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Cable TV + ripped/downloaded content truly only worked for about 3 years :(

Our HTPC started running vista with a OTA tuner->W7 and we have used it for almost 7 years.

Wife loves it and it is so simple to use :(

Not quite sure what the hell I am going to replace it with :/

I loved my HTPC back in the day when there really wasn't any streaming content and everything was recorded TV and movies/TV ripped on my NAS. A HTPC made perfect sense then when it wasn't very difficult to get it working properly.

Today recorded TV and playing ripped movies from local sources is really niche. Everyone has moved to streaming services for content and none of the HTPC apps are even decent at consuming them.

So, October then?

Whats in October?

-------------

So what are you guys going to do for consuming netflix from the couch with a regular remote?

This is what I got as far as options:

1. Use the TV's smart function to watch netflix, which I dont want to because its a crappy app and I need to change the audio input to watch netflix because my receiver doesnt do ARC over HDMI and then I only get 2.1 PCM over the optical.
2. Use a Chromecast which is great except for the part where you need a phone to control it.
3. Watch netflix from the browser, which is great except its not as easy or convenient.

I guess I can pick up a Roku but having another device just for playing netflix? On the plus side I can also use it to play my plex library from the server.

Maybe a TIVO? Expensive as shit but one stop shopping for TV and streaming services.

Last edited:
So what are you guys going to do for consuming netflix from the couch with a regular remote?

I bought a standalone bluray player a year or two ago to avoid the hassles of using the bluray drive in my HTPC. I prefer this when playing off physical discs. The drive is also quieter than the one in my HTPC.

It also has Netflix (as well as a bunch of other apps I never use) and so I just use that. It's fairly seamless with a Harmony remote. And I can program a giant "NETFLIX" button on the Harmony screen, so it's family/wife-friendly.

OOOOOOOOOOH! I completely forgot.

Probably wont have a netflix app though. Which means again, I need a separate solution to watch netflix. And while WMC works what's the point of changing over to HDHomeRun.

HDHomerun DVR will work with plex and kodi. You won't need a separate solution necessarily. If you have a device and that does plex and netflix you won't need another device. If you use kodi there is a netflix plugin for it.

I bought a standalone bluray player a year or two ago to avoid the hassles of using the bluray drive in my HTPC. I prefer this when playing off physical discs. The drive is also quieter than the one in my HTPC.

It also has Netflix (as well as a bunch of other apps I never use) and so I just use that. It's fairly seamless with a Harmony remote. And I can program a giant "NETFLIX" button on the Harmony screen, so it's family/wife-friendly.

this is a good idea, though I am more inclined to use a Roku or something, but the idea of a physical Blu-ray player rather than dealing with bad software that isn't really meant to work with Media Center is a good idea

The only problem with Kodi: No web browser. Finding an all-in-one HTPC solution with web browser, DVR and media is proving to be a pain.

Xbox One with a passthrough to a consumer box or WMC HTPC is about as close as you can get.

HDHomerun DVR will work with plex and kodi. You won't need a separate solution necessarily. If you have a device and that does plex and netflix you won't need another device. If you use kodi there is a netflix plugin for it.

I have been trying to setup the plugin but its being a pain. Do you use it by chance?

Setting up TV on Kodi was a breeze and works surprisingly well. Just need to reconfigure my harmony for Kodi.

I have been trying to setup the plugin but its being a pain. Do you use it by chance?

Setting up TV on Kodi was a breeze and works surprisingly well. Just need to reconfigure my harmony for Kodi.

I have kodi installed but not configured. I'm still using WMC at the moment been waiting for HDHomerun DVR to come out before start using kodi.

I switched to using my PS3 for Netflix some time last year so I could have 5.1 audio. Also started using it for bluray since the HTPC kept needing either an update to the player software or to AnyDVD HD to be able to play a disc. I still like the HTPC for recording TV and watching ripped DVDs, but my 7 year old was the main one who watched the DVDs but he has made the move to watching more stuff on Netflix.

I have kodi installed but not configured. I'm still using WMC at the moment been waiting for HDHomerun DVR to come out before start using kodi.

Am I understanding their kick starter correctly, I need to have the HDHR Prime AND the HDHomerun DVR?

I went ahead and upgraded the HTPC to Windows 10 and have been quite pleased.

The Netflix app (free download) is pretty damn slick. the interface isn't as good as WMC (lordy I loved that interface) but it's much much better than the web interface Netflix has. Search works, playback is good, no audio or video issues.

Setting up the audio via HDMI was different than Win7 - rather than 'digital out' it was showing my Samsung TV, which I thought odd... tried various things, then it dawned on me... "duh, the Pioneer receiver does a pass through for the video". 5 seconds later all was good and 10 seconds later had the 5.1 set up.

DVD and BD playback via the built in app is surprisingly good.

Music from the library on the server, no issues so far.

The only problem with Kodi: No web browser. Finding an all-in-one HTPC solution with web browser, DVR and media is proving to be a pain.
Phone or tablet? Back in the day there were browser addons, but the interface with a remote was poor. Better with a 360 controller, but still way behind the other two devices I happen to always have near me. I suppose if you are keyboard mouse user it might be appealing.

I'm pretty sure there's a plugin that launches Chrome in kiosk mode. It's not great but it works.

The Netflix app (free download) is pretty damn slick. the interface isn't as good as WMC (lordy I loved that interface) but it's much much better than the web interface Netflix has. Search works, playback is good, no audio or video issues.

Setting up the audio via HDMI was different than Win7 - rather than 'digital out' it was showing my Samsung TV, which I thought odd... tried various things, then it dawned on me... "duh, the Pioneer receiver does a pass through for the video". 5 seconds later all was good and 10 seconds later had the 5.1 set up.

so I am guessing you don't watch live TV?

also are you using a remote control, or you phone as a touchpad?

I'm pretty sure there's a plugin that launches Chrome in kiosk mode. It's not great but it works.

Yeah, all the solutions I've seen are 'meh' at best. I'm looking at an apple-style 'just works' solution. Windows 7, though clunky in the living room 'just works' as a media centre, but I really think better can be done, even if it has yet to be done YET.

As far as I know, yes you need a HDhomerun prime tuner and the software.

AH!, thanks for that. I went and re-read the whole campaign again. I didnt realize they were seeking funds for a new piece of software. I thought the HDHR DVR was another component they were developing that connected to the TV, kind of like a Tivo but uses the HDHR Prime as a tuner.

I think I will be moving to this when its released.

So on the date specified in the OP, Netflix will no longer appear in Media Center or will no longer work? What is the point in disabling or removing it? Why can't they just let it be? I don't understand Microsoft going through the trouble. It's not that it's that great any more but at least it's there and usable if someone wanted to.

Maybe it is Netflix asking it to be removed as they no longer support it and do not want the support calls from MCE users who try to use it and it doesn't work.

There is a bluray player app in Windows 10?

As far as I know, yes you need a HDhomerun prime tuner and the software.

Does the HD Homerun DVR software work with ATSC? The Prime doesn't support ATSC, only cable. But I thought I read the DVR software could be used for ATSC, too.

Edit: Never mind. I see that the Connect and Extend are supported for it as well for ATSC use.

so I am guessing you don't watch live TV?

also are you using a remote control, or you phone as a touchpad?

I do not watch live TV.

I have an IR remote I use that I've had for years when I ran XP. Came with a un-branded HP media system I picked up from Geeks.com. It does about 90% of what I need it to do. Mouse / keyboard handle the rest.

I really don't do playback of recorded vid, and only watch the occasional DVD / BD. It's about 99% streaming. I looked into Plex -- damn cool it is, but way more than I need. My set up is pretty basic anymore.

I do miss WMC... :(

There is a bluray player app in Windows 10?

I stuck a BD in and it played ... I'll have to check what the app was. Damn... I'm getting old.

The SD DVR is a fucking joke, anyone who had any faith in it just abandon all hope now. The community interaction on/in regards to feedback - or complete lack of interaction I should say - is a damn insult after being given 300k by backers. Then, it's completely reliant on a constant internet connection - so if your net goes out or their servers do - your dvr is down and you just fucked, and their idea of a TV guide made up of pictures only is another fucking joke (they won't include a traditional grid EPG at all - the CEO says it's too old fashioned - even though their current guide is 100% unintuitive and fucking useless).

The SD DVR is a fucking joke, anyone who had any faith in it just abandon all hope now. The community interaction on/in regards to feedback - or complete lack of interaction I should say - is a damn insult after being given 300k by backers. Then, it's completely reliant on a constant internet connection - so if your net goes out or their servers do - your dvr is down and you just fucked, and their idea of a TV guide made up of pictures only is another fucking joke (they won't include a traditional grid EPG at all - the CEO says it's too old fashioned - even though their current guide is 100% unintuitive and fucking useless).

Wow, that's really bad news. I was waiting on protected content support before I gave it a try.

Wow, that's really bad news. I was waiting on protected content support before I gave it a try.

He just informed people watching DRM recordings is likely going to require an always on/active internet connection too. Something else you can't do when your internet or their servers are offline. Oh, and scheduling recordings too.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8720&start=340

This fucking joke just keeps getting funnier and funnier. Or sadder and sadder. I can't even tell anymore. :(

this seems dumb to me. how does this benefit netflix?

They want to end/kill all Silverlight streaming, which WMC is the last client for (everything else has either been switched to, or has the option for, the now used HTML5 steaming)

Last edited:

Yeesh... looks like NextPVR may become my permanent solution instead of a temporary one while I wait for SD's DVR solution. That's $30 or so wasted...

He just informed people watching DRM recordings is likely going to require an always on/active internet connection too. Something else you can't do when your internet or their servers are offline. Oh, and scheduling recordings too.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8720&start=340

This fucking joke just keeps getting funnier and funnier. Or sadder and sadder. I can't even tell anymore. :(

I gotta agree with the CEO about the grid style EPG. There is not enough on TV to warrant having to wade through all the junk to find something to watch in the future. What he is trying to have is a netflix, tile like, interface for TV content. If I want to channel surf, ill do it now. But if I want to watch something in the future I usually know what I want or i'll find it faster looking at tiles rather than scrolling the channels I normally watch left to right for 20 minutes. Its basically the "on now" or "movies" (dont remember) interface in WMC but for future and live content. I can see the benefits of that.

The always on connection for DRM content and scheduling recordings is a little bizarre. I bet it was part of the agreement to allow their software to present copy protected content. My guess is since they couldnt get windows play ready to handle the DRM validation, since thats probably a WMC only application, they had to do it remotely to ensure you are watching the recording you made on the machine that it was made on.

Having to be online to schedule recording is just plain stupid.

That guy ED is over reacting.

Last edited:
Back