Wizardry 6-8 on GOG

Funny timing. I'm actually half way through Munkharama right now in Wiz 7. I had a few bad rolls during creation of my test party, but went with it anyway. Test party is now my real party and ~ lvl 15. Remembering some of these puzzles has been quite a bit of fun.

Judging by the screenshots, this version of Wizardry 7 is the Gold version. I hope they fixed the text bug for this.

Recommended for an Ultima fan? Which should I play?

Wizardry 7 is the most sandbox-like one. Wizardry 8 is, too, but a little smaller scope. The combat is better in 8, but the story, world and atmosphere is a bit better in 7.

All 3 are fantastic, though.

It's weird how wizardry 8 still looks pretty good. Very above playable graphics.

Wizardry 7 is the most sandbox-like one. Wizardry 8 is, too, but a little smaller scope. The combat is better in 8, but the story, world and atmosphere is a bit better in 7.

All 3 are fantastic, though.

I will add that Wizardry 8 aged much better than 7; I can go back to 8 anytime but 7 is a little too archaic for my tastes.

Absolutely played the crap out of 7 when it came out. Such a good game (at the time and probably today).

I will add that Wizardry 8 aged much better than 7; I can go back to 8 anytime but 7 is a little too archaic for my tastes.

My personal tastes favor Wizardry 8 since the combat is quite a bit more tactical, and I'm a combat whore. My appreciation for game design favors Wizardry 7, since it is more of a marvel of the time, technically and otherwise. I do think Wizardry 7 is a better game, but I like Wizardry 8 more. I've played them both so many times it doesn't really matter.

6 will be the hardest for people to get into, since it is rather old. But, it still stands as a really well put together dungeon crawl. I've played it 4-5 times and enjoyed it every time. Download maps for this if you want to get anywhere.

Even though I'm part way through 7, I decided to start the trilogy over again with 6. I'm going to do the old save party and import for all of them. Let's see if I can remember how to get the diamond ring and other goodies that transfer over.

Is Wizardry too fast paced to play in real time? I tried it once with turn based and combat takes way to long.

You can't technically play real time. 8 has a continuous phase based option, but it isn't really real time. There is a mod called wizfast that speeds the turns up, though. A must have.

You can't technically play real time. 8 has a continuous phase based option, but it isn't really real time. There is a mod called wizfast that speeds the turns up, though. A must have.
Yes, it's been very long, but it was either a true turn based or a sped up turn based.

Technically, it's hybrid phase based. A form of turn based, yes. The key difference is that you plan your entire party's actions at the same time, regardless of initiative, then your actions play out based on initiative order all during the action phase.

True turn based has you chosing your actions as your characters initiative roll comes up, like in ToEE. There is no full planning phase for the party.

So, say you have a 6 person party in both types of systems.

In Wizardry it goes -

Chose actions x6 / actions play out based on initiative roll
^this happens once per full phase

In true turn based it goes -

Initiative roll is ordered / chose action / action happens
^this happens once per party member.

Back