[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
System:
Bad Axe 2
E6600 (changed back to stock)
2gb ddr2
4 sata drives
1dvd
Antec Neo 550w

System folds 24/7. About 2 weeks ago I had to RMA an Evga 7800GT Signature card, so I thought what the hell, upgraded from my opty 165 etc. to the above. Evga sends me a 8800gts 320mb. The card works fine until I tried to game last night. I have never seen anything like it other than like 6 years ago @ Tom's Hardware, they had cpu videos of pulling the heatsink off playing Quake3 and showing that the intel would throttle down and the amd would burn up. The video starts and then just freezes after 5 seconds, flashes the screen like crazy. I have checked all the connections tonight, machine is stable in every test except video. PCI-E connector is plugged in and worked fine with I put a Ati1950pro in the sub until evga sent me the other card. Gamed, no problem. I have downloaded the newest drivers, used drive cleaner, voltage rails look fine, gpu idle temp is 62c not sure load, can't get it to load a game. 3dmark, nothing works. A game I installed updated the direct x to DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). I have a video I took with my digi cam and it's an avi file. I don't feel like messing around tonight trying to edit this video. It shows what's going on somewhat. Keep in mind, the system will pass all cpu, memory etc test I have done. Was running @ 3.0ghz and moved it back down to stock to troubleshoot. I have not locked/unlocked or changed any pci bus speeds via the bios
Video is 40megs, high speed only.
A big thank you advance. The video is of a css stress test. Does the same thing with trying to run the game & 3dmark06 it loads the test and then freezes.
Gpu video driver version: 158.19_forceware_
http://www.teamguilty.com/[h]/8800gts.avi

Ok, I put the ATI card back in and it works just fine.... The evga card felt still hot as hell even after taking it out. I have decent case cooling, clean wire management, is it a faulty card?

Fan was spinning, nmonitor said 62 idle. Never could look @ a load temp as everything gpu related crashed

Did you run driver cleaner it sounds like there may have been a conflict. And perhaps you just got a bad card. It does happen. Trust me get the card issue sorted and you will love the 8800GTS.

WZ

What if I told you that I had the same problem..and it was not the card but the Intel Badaxe2 board. Tried other Nvidia cards worked fine..8800GTX would cause problems..Aqua Mark scores 140,000 running OC's 3.7ghz..7800GT = 125,000
2nd Badaxe..same problem..I tried everthing for 2 months..Even RMA'd the vid card.
I went back to Asus and no problems..Something wrong in the PCI-e slots..Had problems with PCI-e Scsi adapters not working at all.
Just my 2 cents worth

a lot of people seem to have the bad axes rolling 8800 cards. Not saying you are wrong, maybe the slots are jacked. I am going to try drive cleaner again. I have an older version as I am not paying for it :p maybe that's my trouble.

ran drive cleaner again etc. Still same thing :( I am using drive cleaner 3 as that's the last verison I have. How old is this?

I tried Badaxe2 rev.503 and 505,,nothing worked..Have you tried your card on a different board. Maybe a friends? and then again it could be the card. I have seen 8800's with great
scores on Intel,,that is why I bought it.

I will repost back, I just put a big box fan to the side of the case on high, not overheating still doing this.

Don't have another pci-e system here. I am going to take it to the office and try it there tomorrow... Nightmares I tell ya:eek:

I just noticed that you are using the newest drivers..I even had problems with those..Went back to next one down and worked fine on my asus..I dont know if you have tried those?
Sometimes it make you feel like your banging your head against a wall...

driver conflict. overheating....OR...PSU.

Anyway you can test the videocard in another machine with a better PSU?

Hey Cliff watch it :) This is PSU is good ;) Yeah, I am going to check tomorrow @ my office. I will let post back here

Ok, older drivers did not work. When I pull the card out, it feels pretty damn hot for not even doing any 3D apps. Will post back tomorrow on this subject.

Have you checked the CPU/Heatsink? It's a fairly common mistake to leave the cover on the heatsink over the adhesive (if it's stock)...

If you have a older spare hard drive laying around I would swap it out with your current main one and do a fresh install of your OS. Then install a game or two, and video card drivers. That would elieminate any driver/software confilicts.

Tried on my work box, same thing. Calling evga right now.

Back