With what 939 AMD CPU can I see my 8800's potential with?

xWhiteboy55

Limp Gawd
Well, I recently just upgraded to 2gigs of ram, a new Asus a8n32-sli deluxe motherboard, and an evga 8800gts superclocked 640MB ram video card. Now, I put this with my existing amd 64 3200+ processor, which seems to be choking my 8800. In games I feel like I should be tail-assing through things such as dark messiah on full everything, but at times I still get some hiccups, and in Vanguard, such a demanding game, my fps is pretty darn low.

Now, I want to know, what 939 pin will I see a nice difference with, and start to see what my 8800gts can really do. I only want to upgrade though, if I will definitely see a visual difference which can make me say "wow"

Please dont say go AM2, I will shoot you. (not literally) But I'm just not going am2 right now, I just replaced some old parts that died on me, so I want to get some use out of these new ones.

Thanks everyone!

Tigerdirect has at least a dozen bundling deals (Mobos, video, vista installs, even a whole barebones kit) on the FX-60, which I think is the best for 939, correct me if I'm wrong there might be an opty thats better. Looks like there trying really hard to clear out there inventory on it, so they might not have many left as its an EOL product I think.

FX-60 is and always will be the top dog for socket 939. Too bad that AMD isn't planning on any more new cpu's for it. :(

I found it takes my x2 4200+ to run at 2.4 before its not bottlenecking my 7800GT in 3dmark06, after 2.4 i can see its then the videocard that becomes the limiting factor, so yes, i would figure that the FX60 (2.6ghz) would be the best bet, 1) cause it has a unlocked multi 2) high chances of getting 3.0ghz oc. 3) Is the top of the line s939 cpu.

Either that or a opteron that can oc to 2.8 or 3.0 would be a great 2nd choice.

A 8800GTX does NOT need the top of the line cpu to keep up with game's. Even a mid level $300.00 cpu compared to a $1,000.00 top dog is like 1% difference in high resolution.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/battlefield_2142_cpu_shootout/page4.asp

I say get the FX-60 and be done with it, that baby will last ya until next year when the 9800Ultra arrives and then the revised AMD QuadCores will be available

Look at this review with the 8800GTX and 8800GTS, a cheap $100 3800+ compared to FX-62 which is close to $500 shows no difference in high resolution, it is all VideoCard power
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_8800_gtx_gts_amd_cpu_scaling/page12.asp

If you're fine with overclocking then I would buy the Opty 165 for $150.00...I had a similar issue as yourself but my CPU was 3700 San Diego/evga 8800gts. I upgraded to an Opty 175 and overclocked to 3.0Ghz. My 3d06 score went from 6400 to 8600. CPU score went from 910 to 2200.

The FX60 is a great choice but why spend the extra money if you're comfortable overclocking. Good luck.

If you're fine with overclocking then I would buy the Opty 165 for $150.00...I had a similar issue as yourself but my CPU was 3700 San Diego/evga 8800gts. I upgraded to an Opty 175 and overclocked to 3.0Ghz. My 3d06 score went from 6400 to 8600. CPU score went from 910 to 2200.

The FX60 is a great choice but why spend the extra money if you're comfortable overclocking. Good luck.

But how big of difference did it make in an actual game?

You can get your hands on a OEM FX-55 for about 199 at Newegg. I have mine running at 3.0 ghz with 1.475v and temps at 35 idle / 50 load.
The FX-55 overclocks somewhat better than the 57 and it is about 80 or 90 dollars cheaper than the the fx-57.

I know im reccomeding a single core, but if your only gaming, this will give you the best performance increase.

I have a very simalar system as yours and I couldnt get my FX-60 to work with my system. Had to return it and get a fx-55 instead. Im happy with the upgrade coming from a 3500+. About 1200 increase in 3dmark 06 score.

Any of the dual core S939's are going to be plenty for a while, especially if you overclock it. Past ~2.4Ghz with a dual core, you are hanging right with stock e6600's and some overclocked Core 2's.

One thing no one mentioned is that if it is running crappy, have you done the normal clean up? I know, everyone can yell for the reminder, but hey taking unnecessary crap out from loading at boot, defrags, etc can make a huge difference.

Also, I personally have a GTS and my experience with nTune has been utter crap. I installed it, got two blue screens on my otherwise stable system, and then uninstalled it, no more blue screens. It isn't stable for me. I just use ATI Tool to overclock my card, and OC the CPU from the BIOS. I'm much more stable that way.

I just upgraded my CPU from 3700+ to FX-60 (much cheaper than buying a C2D setup) and only achieved a 10-15fps increase in the games I play. While that's not much, it's definately worthwhile if your current fps is a low 20. Also, with the FX-60, my games (as well as other programs) startup noticeably faster which is another consideration if you're an impatient person. :D

Another reason you may want to switch to the fastest 939 processor now is that it may be difficult to find one later as there are no more in production. Newegg doesn't even have the FX-60s available. I got mine from TD combo'd with Vista for $30 more than the FX-57 alone.

Oh, and I have the 8800GTX, which made a huge difference over the 7800GT it replaced. This was prior to the CPU upgrade.

I just upgraded my CPU from 3700+ to FX-60 (much cheaper than buying a C2D setup) and only achieved a 10-15fps increase in the games I play. While that's not much, it's definately worthwhile if your current fps is a low 20. Also, with the FX-60, my games (as well as other programs) startup noticeably faster which is another consideration if you're an impatient person. :D

Another reason you may want to switch to the fastest 939 processor now is that it may be difficult to find one later as there are no more in production. Newegg doesn't even have the FX-60s available. I got mine from TD combo'd with Vista for $30 more than the FX-57 alone.

Oh, and I have the 8800GTX, which made a huge difference over the 7800GT it replaced. This was prior to the CPU upgrade.

Yeah that is a nice system ya have there, a FX-60 plus 8800GTX......doesnt get much better than that for AMD, and in high resolution even an Intel QuadCore would give the same fps, it is all VideoCard

that all depends, iiyama makes 17" CRTs that can do 1600x1200. granted, we're talking about a $500CRT here, but you asked... 1280x1024 is normal though

It should be noted you might have to do a bios flash to get your system to recognize the FX-60, I know I had to.

I have the GTS running at GTX core speeds. I have the Superclocked edition. I'm thinking if Overclocking should work for me. I've never really done it.

I could go cheap, and overclock.

Im also pretty sure I want dual-core, because Im sure in the future that it will be required.

You can get your hands on a OEM FX-55 for about 199 at Newegg. I have mine running at 3.0 ghz with 4.75v and temps at 35 idle / 50 load.
The FX-55 overclocks somewhat better than the 57 and it is about 80 or 90 dollars cheaper than the the fx-57.

I know im reccomeding a single core, but if your only gaming, this will give you the best performance increase.

I have a very simalar system as yours and I couldnt get my FX-60 to work with my system. Had to return it and get a fx-55 instead. Im happy with the upgrade coming from a 3500+. About 1200 increase in 3dmark 06 score.

Wow, I'm surprised you haven't smoked that thing yet. Running 4.75v through that cpu is EXTREME. Should have almost automatically went up in flames. :p

OP: Get yourself a decent x2 or opty and overclock it to the high heavens. If you are comfy with overclocking if not, get yourself an FX60.

Wow, I'm surprised you haven't smoked that thing yet. Running 4.75v through that cpu is EXTREME. Should have almost automatically went up in flames. :p

OP: Get yourself a decent x2 or opty and overclock it to the high heavens. If you are comfy with overclocking if not, get yourself an FX60.
for a 200$ cpu? bah! crank that puppy up! I bought my fx55 when it was 1000$. mine's at 2.9 no voltage increase. still kicking ass!

CPU's dont matter that much with a 8800GTX, as long as it is somehwat newer like an Athlon64 or even Intel, look at this;
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/29/geforce_8800_needs_the_fastest_cpu/page6.html

Here is an image of game benchmarks running on different CPUs. The circled items are an Intel 6800 Extreme vs an AMD FX60. If you notice at 1600 x 1200 and higher, there is not much difference at all between the two CPUs, except the price. The Intel 6800 is around $1000 and the FX60 is around $350. The lower res benchmarks are just not relevant, who plays their games at 1024 x 768 with a NV 8800GTX?

CPU's dont matter that much with a 8800GTX, as long as it is somehwat newer like an Athlon64 or even Intel, look at this;
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/29/geforce_8800_needs_the_fastest_cpu/page6.html

Here is an image of game benchmarks running on different CPUs. The circled items are an Intel 6800 Extreme vs an AMD FX60. If you notice at 1600 x 1200 and higher, there is not much difference at all between the two CPUs, except the price. The Intel 6800 is around $1000 and the FX60 is around $350. The lower res benchmarks are just not relevant, who plays their games at 1024 x 768 with a NV 8800GTX?

Thats awesome since I'm upgrading to a Opty 170 for $192.00 and can clock it to FX-60 speed. I also play at 1600 x 1200 and 1920 x 1200.:D And plan on getting a 8800GTX

Back