With Oculus Rift, is there any way to determine that you're facing the front cameras?

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I hate getting lost in my room-scale space. I was thinking it would be neat to approach your barrier, when the grid popped up, and maybe the front of the room the grid would appear a different color so you knew this was the front of your play area. Is there anything like this available?

Thanks.

I have a little space at the front bottom of the headset I can peek out of and see my monitor. It also serves to see if any cats came into the room and sat/laid near me.
I don't have it very bright in the room but enough to see the screen and stuff near me.

As tight as I put it on, in order for things to be in focus, I can't peak out. I've tried. I just think it would be an easy option to implement and can't believe there's no a setting for it, unless I've missed it.

As tight as I put it on, in order for things to be in focus, I can't peak out. I've tried. I just think it would be an easy option to implement and can't believe there's no a setting for it, unless I've missed it.
Not sure what the Rift 2 will bring. Only need a little peek, try cutting a small piece out of the nose part.

I always put a little spike towards the front of my play space, that way as soon as the guardian boundary shows I instantly know my orientation.

Use Guardian Boundary Editor to make adjustments - http://www.emuvr.net/download/GuardianBoundaryEditor.zip

Here's a quick video tutorial:

And yeah, don't cut anything on your HMD.

If the physical barrier is the wall and the corresponding boundary in VR, how does one walk past the boundary in a game...as in walking down a long path? Having not tried full VR I can;t quite wrap my mind around it.

If the physical barrier is the wall and the corresponding boundary in VR, how does one walk past the boundary in a game...as in walking down a long path? Having not tried full VR I can;t quite wrap my mind around it.

Not sure I fully understand the question, there are always transport or movement buttons on the controls, so you can stay within your rooms boundary lines. If you wanted, you could play +90% of the games by standing in the same spot if you are careful...you just might be at a disadvantage because of the limited movement. To my knowledge the games do not scale to your room size, but rather just allow more movement.

You have to get creative when you play some games...so it takes a small amount away from the atmosphere...but you get good at it, and eventually dont notice it.

Not sure I fully understand the question, there are always transport or movement buttons on the controls, so you can stay within your rooms boundary lines. If you wanted, you could play +90% of the games by standing in the same spot if you are careful...you just might be at a disadvantage because of the limited movement. To my knowledge the games do not scale to your room size, but rather just allow more movement.

You have to get creative when you play some games...so it takes a small amount away from the atmosphere...but you get good at it, and eventually dont notice it.
Yeah my space is small as well, but unless I keep the door closed I need a way to see.

Not sure I fully understand the question, there are always transport or movement buttons on the controls, so you can stay within your rooms boundary lines...

....You have to get creative when you play some games...so it takes a small amount away from the atmosphere...but you get good at it, and eventually dont notice it.

What's the maximum size room permitted with either Rift or Vive?

I hate getting lost in my room-scale space. I was thinking it would be neat to approach your barrier, when the grid popped up, and maybe the front of the room the grid would appear a different color so you knew this was the front of your play area. Is there anything like this available?

Thanks.

To what end? Not sure it matters where the front of your play space is, tbh. I get all kinds of turned around and lost in my play area and it never really matters to game play other than having to occasionally untwist the cord (like we used to have to do with those old corded phones). There is one slightly irregular bump out in my guardian from when I was tracing it that I can identify as the end table in my game room, but I don't ever find myself looking for it to orient myself as it doesn't really matter.

What's the maximum size room permitted with either Rift or Vive?

IIRC on the Rift with two sensors...it likes 8 x 8', with three sensors you can go almost 11' x 11' , and on the Vive its standard is something like 11' x 11' or so. There have been videos of individuals longer with certain room arrangements and angles to help maximize.

Just remember you may need extension cables for the HDMI and USB on the headset...that sucka is short, and you dont want it taut against your connections. I have about 10ft extensions on mine I believe...it makes a world of difference.

IIRC on the Rift with two sensors...it likes 8 x 8', with three sensors you can go almost 11' x 11' , and on the Vive its standard is something like 11' x 11' or so. There have been videos of individuals longer with certain room arrangements and angles to help maximize.

Just remember you may need extension cables for the HDMI and USB on the headset...that sucka is short, and you dont want it taut against your connections. I have about 10ft extensions on mine I believe...it makes a world of difference.

Aren't we on the verge of cutting the cord? That will be a big development, along with higher res.

Aren't we on the verge of cutting the cord? That will be a big development, along with higher res.

Yeah they have a couple consumer kits out there...they are pricey and requires a battery source...which can clip to your belt or hang on back of headset. VIVE and Rift both have kits available...would be interesting to see the Gen 2 of these. They run somewhere around $300-400.00

TPCAST.com - https://www.tpcastvr.com/

Last edited:
To what end? Not sure it matters where the front of your play space is, tbh. I get all kinds of turned around and lost in my play area and it never really matters to game play other than having to occasionally untwist the cord (like we used to have to do with those old corded phones). There is one slightly irregular bump out in my guardian from when I was tracing it that I can identify as the end table in my game room, but I don't ever find myself looking for it to orient myself as it doesn't really matter.

In my situation it does. I currently am not able to have more than 2 front sensors. When I'm playing a game, such as In Death (highly recommended), sometimes I will get turned at the worst times and then a monster will be behind me. I then will turn to shoot it, and my tracking goes crazy since I'm facing away from it. Knowing where front is, I can periodically check and position myself so if I need to turn say, 90 degrees, I won't lose tracking.

In my situation it does. I currently am not able to have more than 2 front sensors. When I'm playing a game, such as In Death (highly recommended), sometimes I will get turned at the worst times and then a monster will be behind me. I then will turn to shoot it, and my tracking goes crazy since I'm facing away from it. Knowing where front is, I can periodically check and position myself so if I need to turn say, 90 degrees, I won't lose tracking.

If you can place them up high and diagonally from each other, they can perform a whole lot better, and reduce dead zones.

upload_2018-6-25_13-41-54.jpeg

Can you not place them diagonally? That's how I have mine, no worries about getting turned around.

It's not the HMD but the insert.

Why on earth would I cut anything to see outside? The whole point is to NOT see outside.

I found the triangle method works best for mine. 2 up front and 1 directly behind me.

You'll probably get better tracking if you pull that sensor off to one side and make full use of it's FOV. I know I do.

Oculus covered this in their "Tips for setting up a killer VR room" blog post - https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

To see what your sensors see you can use the free Sensor Bounds app - https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1682666568488584/

mazeroth In smaller spaces you can do passable 360 with two sensors set up in opposite corners of the room. You'll be susceptible to some occlusion in the corners without sensors, but there are people over at /r/oculus/ that tried it and then never got around to picking up a third sensor.

Exactly like Viper16 posted and bobzdar is getting at.

Why on earth would I cut anything to see outside? The whole point is to NOT see outside.

You'll probably get better tracking if you pull that sensor off to one side and make full use of it's FOV. I know I do.

Oculus covered this in their "Tips for setting up a killer VR room" blog post - https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

To see what your sensors see you can use the free Sensor Bounds app - https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1682666568488584/

mazeroth In smaller spaces you can do passable 360 with two sensors set up in opposite corners of the room. You'll be susceptible to some occlusion in the corners without sensors, but there are people over at /r/oculus/ that tried it and then never got around to picking up a third sensor.

Exactly like Viper16 posted and bobzdar is getting at.
I had it to the side but it created a small blind spot back towards the opposite side. I have had 0 problem with it in the middle. It has redundancy on both sides with the 2 front.

I thought I was the only guy who put the little notch for the front of their playspace...... :(. I'm not special at all.

I find the areas that I don't have peak coverage I still have coverage, its only in that one corner that we all have where you're blocking the sensors and hands with most of your body that you go "this wouldn't happen with a 4th sensor". But then you add the 4th sensor and it doesn't make that much of a difference, so I'm told.

Enjoy your Rift, I think it's the most impressive thing in PC gaming since PC Gaming, the tech itself, not necessarily just the Rift...but I'm still glad I have a Rift over a Vive (IMHO, Vive is great, no hating) it's a look and feel thing for me, nothing more.

Enjoy your Rift, I think it's the most impressive thing in PC gaming since PC Gaming, the tech itself, not necessarily just the Rift...but I'm still glad I have a Rift over a Vive (IMHO, Vive is great, no hating) it's a look and feel thing for me, nothing more.

It's definitely on par with the experience of my first 3dFX card, where I was like oh crap, this changes everything!

This isn't 3D television gimick. This is legit game changer. It just needs to be implemented correctly. We have 50 years of perfecting looking at a flat 2D display. Being within a 3 dimensional space will take some time to perfect as well.

It's definitely on par with the experience of my first 3dFX card, where I was like oh crap, this changes everything!

This isn't 3D television gimick. This is legit game changer. It just needs to be implemented correctly. We have 50 years of perfecting looking at a flat 2D display. Being within a 3 dimensional space will take some time to perfect as well.
Yeah, but sad at the same time. It takes away from 2D. Games on 2D just are not as fun anymore.

This is why I'm holding out on getting into VR... because my backlog of 2D games I still wanna get through... super tempted to get the Oculus Go though, hopefully it doesn't spoil the experience too much?

This is why I'm holding out on getting into VR... because my backlog of 2D games I still wanna get through... super tempted to get the Oculus Go though, hopefully it doesn't spoil the experience too much?

I watched some reviews about the go and the reality escape aspect sounded cool, like being able to lay on a bed and watch TV looking up. You cant do that on the Rift, it wants you to look forward, plus the umbilical. But the touch controllers really are a great experience. They are capacitive so they know when you are touching and it gives some cool effect in the game, since it can estimate when you point or thumbs off. It sounds like Go has fixed some of the optical problems of the Rift but you loose a lot of movement functionality. And the movement is great.

The video card is really the only reservation I would have for the Rift (or Vive). Its costs more than the unit right now.

Thanks.
Some games support this. Robo Recall has a little marker on the ground, with an arrow pointing in the "forward" direction, which denotes the center of your space.

Thanks.

No, but what you can do is create your barrier with each side being a different shape... Front rounded, back is a straight line, sides can be triangles... Another thing you could do is have a fan blowing on you from the direction you want to be in front. Little things like that where you have to think a little bit outside of the box cause Oculus hasn't yet caught word of your good idea, the barrier having different colors. That one really is a simple yet elegant way to customize the barrier.

Back