With Left 4 Dead 2 on the way, why buy LFD1?

I won't get into the debate of the merits of releasing a game so soon, I generally have supported Valve with the games, and decisions they make.

I am of the population that has not bought Left 4 Dead and always had an intention to buy the game. However, with Valve open with the fact they were unhappy with the first game why would I buy this game over the summer at the current 40 dollars.

It seems like they've made good decision to discount and bundle games but this move doesn't make sense to me. Why not sell current copies of LFD at 20 bucks or below to satisfy the population who otherwise would wait for the successor? Why not sell the game at 40 or 50 dollars but credit your account to have LFD2 for free, Valve you're killing me!

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/left-4-dead-2

It may be oversimplifying it but I think its between 3 choices:

1. To hell with both L4D and L4D2. Valve can bite me for pulling this crap.

2. To hell with L4D2 I'll just play L4D. I'll not support this direction Valve is going in.

3. To hell with L4D, L4D2 is coming out.

Even though I'm all for the current L4D2 boycott, i'd recommend you wait until the inevitable L4D+L4D2 bundle.

Well they did have L4D ~25-30% off during Christmas and had it on sale again for something like $25 so its your fault for missing it on sale. One reason to get it now is so you're not such a newb when the second one comes out, no one likes a newb on their team.

This could have gone in either thread, or as a suggestion for the developer would just be best emailed directly to them.

You should have bought L4D a month or two ago when it was $25 on sale.

Maybe instead of whining, you could take that energy and get a Chemical Engineering degree so you can make enough money where 50 bucks is pocket change. If you want the game, buy it. If you dont, dont. Its just that simple.

I was actually about to buy Left 4 Dead, but then saw the Left for Dead II announcement and boycott. Now I won't buy either and probably won't buy any games from Valve, ever. If Valve is going to start pumping out sequels at will and abandoning games like L4D, what guarantee do I have that L4D 3 won't come out a year after L4D 2?

Sounds like they want your $$$ yearly now with their "new" games. We might as well start paying a yearly fee to Valve and just getting our L4D 3, L4D 4, L4D 5, etc.. for "free".

I won't get into the debate of the merits of releasing a game so soon, I generally have supported Valve with the games, and decisions they make.

I am of the population that has not bought Left 4 Dead and always had an intention to buy the game. However, with Valve open with the fact they were unhappy with the first game why would I buy this game over the summer at the current 40 dollars.

It seems like they've made good decision to discount and bundle games but this move doesn't make sense to me. Why not sell current copies of LFD at 20 bucks or below to satisfy the population who otherwise would wait for the successor? Why not sell the game at 40 or 50 dollars but credit your account to have LFD2 for free, Valve you're killing me!

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/left-4-dead-2

Thats easy , BECAUSE L4D2 IS A PIECE OF SHIT!.;)

You should have bought L4D a month or two ago when it was $25 on sale.

Everyone thought that sale was a great buy, but now we know why Valve dropped it so low. Hard to ship product when the sequel is coming out so soon so lets drop the price for a while and then announce L4D2.

Everyone thought that sale was a great buy, but now we know why Valve dropped it so low. Hard to ship product when the sequel is coming out so soon so lets drop the price for a while and then announce L4D2.

True, though the first one is definitely worth $25, even without any additional content. (IMO)

Just get LFD now. You got a good 6 months. Are you honestly telling me that six months of MP fun is not worth $39? Come on.

Wait for the combo deal LFD1 and LFD2. I bought LFD1 when it first came out. I couldn't play online at the time so it was fun but not $50 worth of fun.

I dono why the freak out about L4D2, I enjoy L4D and do believe that I got my 45$ worth when I bought it a while ago. But I still play it every other day.

I dono why the freak out about L4D2, I enjoy L4D and do believe that I got my 45$ worth when I bought it a while ago. But I still play it every other day.

Same, aside from the SDK taking its sweet time to being fully completed I have no major gripes with the game, well maybe they could add a Hardcore mode ala Diablo2 or 50HP a wack from common infected difficulty for campaign but no big deal.

My mind's open on L4D2, if it feels like they are trying to milk me then I'll not buy the game. I'm more pissed about TF2 currently and that failed CS market place esque system they put in with the sniper/spy update, thankfully the public outcry rightly made them readd the achievement milestones so that both systems could coexist and allow the player to decide how to aquire items.

I bet Valve will give you L4D free if you preorder L4D2. Of course that doesn't help any of us that already own L4D.

Same. I've gotten more enjoyment out of L4D Versus than I have of any recent game.

I agree.

Those people complaining about another game coming out have it wrong. If it isn't a good game, then the community for L4D will still be plenty busy. If it is, then you'll have something different to do.

People whining about not receiving constant updates need to go play fee based MMO's where the continuous influx of money to the developer warrants updates on a regular basis.

Hopefully when they say the old maps still play perfectly in LFD2 that would mean you would have the option of playing either mode if you have LFD2. Backwards compatiblity like that would be excellent.

I have to agree on this being taken the wrong way. Throwing stones at Valve based on just this is really misguided.:rolleyes:

You know I bought the L4D GOTY edition the day it came out last month, and while I like the game I do feel slightly cheated knowing that L4D2 is on the way.

BTW, did you guys read it will include a single extra campaign (total of 5). Thats still very little content for a brand new game. If I buy L4D2 it wont be until later.

Back