With ATT internet, how do I add my own wireless router?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So do I make my wireless router just an Access point, or do I disable wireless on the ATT router and let mine be the broadcast router?

A bit confused on that.

If you're going to make your the broadcast router, you'll want to set your router to DMZ in the settings, and then turn off the wifi from the AT&T router. You may also want to give your router a different IP range than the one the AT&T box is using just to make sure there's no IP conflict. A lot of people will change their router to 10.0.0.x

If you're going to make your the broadcast router, you'll want to set your router to DMZ in the settings, and then turn off the wifi from the AT&T router. You may also want to give your router a different IP range than the one the AT&T box is using just to make sure there's no IP conflict. A lot of people will change their router to 10.0.0.x
This works, but it really doesn't work because the att is still acting as the router. And instead of a 'hybrid' setup, it's better to just let the att be the router if there's no special need.

Unless you are prepared to bypass the ATT router aka RG, since you're asking about this you're not, then just do as SamirD suggest and use an AP. Please note that in some cases now even if you are prepared the RG cannot be bypassed.

Sorta went through this the other day.
If you prefer your router to manage things, you have 2 options for the ATT gateway
--Bridge mode- not recommended per ATT as they can't manage/update the modem per their documentation
--IP Passthrough- recommended and you can leave the WIFI on for emergency management? Don't share the password. If someone joins the WIFI here, it will conflict with the routers internet connection.

Recommendations above may vary with modem model
- https://www.att.com/support/smallbusiness/article/smb-dsl-high-speed/KM1188698
- https://www.att.com/support/smallbusiness/article/smb-internet/KM1188700

Both options will only assign a single IP.
-------------

Alternatively, yes, you can turn your router into a standalone AP depending on the model. I was doing this before with an Apple router before I setup my WIFIs. It requires a cable connection, so keep that in mind if you aren't able to place it in an ideal location. It may be no better than just using the ATT modem/router.

Back