Witchfire (dark fantasy shooter)

Every blade of grass is 3D and moving in the wind. It makes me want to play the game just to enjoy the graphics. I haven't had that feeling in a long time.

When I saw that first trailer it reminded me of when they first showed of Unreal Engine 3 with all that fancy new shader and lighting technology that was such a huge jump in graphical detail, and before that Doom 3 with it's dynamic lighting.

Every blade of grass is 3D and moving in the wind. It makes me want to play the game just to enjoy the graphics. I haven't had that feeling in a long time.

When I saw that first trailer it reminded me of when they first showed of Unreal Engine 3 with all that fancy new shader and lighting technology that was such a huge jump in graphical detail, and before that Doom 3 with it's dynamic lighting.

Exactly. This is like the first time I saw Oblivion too. Good stuff. Now to... ...wait...

damn that new footage looks really impressive...actually makes me want to re-play Vanishing of Ethan Carter (UE4 Redux version) :D

4 new screenshots for the first-person dark fantasy shooter, Witchfire

These screenshots showcase some of the game’s locations, as well as some of its enemies...Witchfire will be using Photogrammetry and will be using the latest version of Unreal Engine 4...thus, the following screenshots showcase the visual state of the game’s latest build...

https://www.dsogaming.com/screensho...-first-person-dark-fantasy-shooter-witchfire/

4 new screenshots for the first-person dark fantasy shooter, Witchfire

These screenshots showcase some of the game’s locations, as well as some of its enemies...Witchfire will be using Photogrammetry and will be using the latest version of Unreal Engine 4...thus, the following screenshots showcase the visual state of the game’s latest build...

https://www.dsogaming.com/screensho...-first-person-dark-fantasy-shooter-witchfire/

This is actually my most anticipated game, next to Cyberpunk. It's exactly the sort of thing I want to play. (Funny thing for me to say, knowing so little about it...) Actually, I did send an email to the devs a while back, and they were very kind and enthusiastic to respond, which was very cool. Something about the visuals though (not just the fancy graphic technology, but the style) is calling my name. I love the litchy-witchy-skeleton look.

It still looks great, but by the time this game releases it's not going to be as impressive as it would have been over 2 years ago when the trailer came out. I'm still looking forward to it though.

A few months ago the devs released a pre-alpha gameplay video that was widely criticized for looking like Destiny. It also lost the dark gothic theme the reveal trailer had. The devs had to assure people that they were just testing various gameplay mechanic ideas and this was in no way representative of what the final game will be like. It's important to note that The Astronauts are giving us an open window into their game development process from start to finish. Let's just hope that they really are not going down the Destiny clone route.

A few months ago the devs released a pre-alpha gameplay video that was widely criticized for looking like Destiny. It also lost the dark gothic theme the reveal trailer had. The devs had to assure people that they were just testing various gameplay mechanic ideas and this was in no way representative of what the final game will be like. It's important to note that The Astronauts are giving us an open window into their game development process from start to finish. Let's just hope that they really are not going down the Destiny clone route.

Looks nice looks like Hunt Showdown.

trash. Is this even related to the game in the original reveal?

That second video looked fine and is what I would have expected based on the original reveal. It's an FPS. It's going to play like one, and look like one to some extent. Not sure what kind of revolutionary art style or gameplay some people are expecting from this title, anyone with any common sense would know the original reveal was not actual gameplay but a stylized representation of the developers vision. Almost a pitch to show potential investors.

It also lost the dark gothic theme the reveal trailer had
People figured that out from a 30 second clip? lol. They expect every single area of the game to have Bloodborne gothic style architecture? Nothing else? jeez. No wonder some developers just shy away from communicating with their playerbase. Too many people become overhyped with unrealistic expectations in their head, and get angry when they are inevitably not met.

Nice video but what is it with the first person shooter view feeling like you are only 3 feet tall? Anybody else notice that?

Nice video but what is it with the first person shooter view feeling like you are only 3 feet tall? Anybody else notice that?
Proportionally the environment does looks huge compared to the viewpoint of the player.

I hope they are keeping the original areas and just showcasing different areas. painkiller also had vastly different areas, one of things I loved about it. I get a painkilleresque feeling from the game, hope they get that into the final product.

I was checking out the developer website and saw some interesting Witchfire Development updates...some are a few months old but they haven't been posted here...

Development Update (May 2021)- The Very First Witchfire Playtest
https://www.theastronauts.com/2021/05/first-witchfire-playtest/

Development Update (April 2021)- New Witchfire screenshots
https://www.theastronauts.com/2021/04/new-witchfire-screenshots-plus-man-plans-god-laughs/

Development Update (October 2020)- 2 Milestones
https://www.theastronauts.com/2020/10/tale-of-two-milestones/

That’s funny! I just did the same thing on Monday. Looked for new videos and information. The things I saw were good, but seemed slightly less atmospheric than the early stuff. Still looking good though.

Despite the variations, this is still the biggest “FPS” that I’m waiting for aside from Atomic Heart. And the SysShock redooooooo.

Witchfire Summer Games Fest 2022 Trailer

coming soon to Early Access via Epic Games Store...

Right. They just lost me. Lame.

Well, hopefully the finished product lands on Steam. I've been waiting for this since it was announced.

Witchfire Summer Games Fest 2022 Trailer

coming soon to Early Access via Epic Games Store...

Gives me some Painkiller vibes. I'm interested, but I'll wait until it's out of early access. Seems like the kind of game where I'd play it during EA and then be bored with it by the time it was done.

it looks like a decent game but nothing really to set it apart from other similar games...I liked Vanishing of Ethan Carter so I'm hoping they are keeping the really good stuff under wraps until closer to release

it looks like a decent game but nothing really to set it apart from other similar games...I liked Vanishing of Ethan Carter so I'm hoping they are keeping the really good stuff under wraps until closer to release

Well, there's a lot about it to distinguish itself from most CURRENT games. Not that it hasn't been basically done before, but it's actually kind of a fun setting/style/genre that doesn't have enough games in it IMO. Sure, there are Hexens, Heretics, Bloods, Painkillers, but they're all in the past. There was a very cool game like this in recent times, (I can't think of the name at this moment, even though I played it pretty extensively :D ) However, it was more of a semi-retro-style one. The one where your staff fires out planets. Anyway, Witchfire also has guns instead of fantasy weapons, so that's at least a small spin. I think it sits in nicely with the current climate in games, and will add some variety to the rest that are around at the moment. Plus, it looks amazing.

However, now I get to wait because of Epic. :vomit:

I wonder if Early Access means the game is complete...hopefully it'll be cheaper than when the full retail version is released...

Not sure how EA works on Epic. On Steam, it has a wide range in the games that I've bought that were early releases. Some are basically complete, but they release like this for a bit of extra testing and tweaking before they say they're really done. (like an extra beta test cycle or something, but more complete than beta)

Other times, I've seen a game broken up by parts of its world. They release a few, and as you're playing those, they work on the next batch. The engine is basically done, and all systems in place, but they release the content over time, all before version 1.0. CrossCode comes to mind as an example for this.

Others, it's basically a complete, bug free, game, but maybe not fully fleshed out in content. This is pretty close to, or maybe between the other two, but I have a different type of example in mind. Dead Cells was released in EA, and when I got it, you could play it from start to finish, it had a final boss, the game was slick to play and bug free (at least when I played the first time). Later they changed some systems, added a ton of content, added a few new levels, filled in some story elements, and called it the main release. There was nothing wrong with the EA version, but they expanded and refined it to a huge degree.

Then I also hear about mostly broken, super-early EA releases. Some shape up eventually, some die in EA.

So, kind of all over the board. :D Not sure where Witchfire falls in this range.

sounds like the developers played Elden Ring and decided to change the entire game...

Witchfire delayed to 2023

It's been five years since Polish studio The Astronauts announced Witchfire and it'll be a while yet before the game sees the light of day, as the studio announced today that the release planned for the end of this year has been delayed into early 2023...the delay has been caused by a major redesign that's changing the game from arena-style combat to open-world fighting

Creative director Adrian Chmielarz went into greater detail on the delay in a blog post in which he said the core experience of Witchfire remains the same, "but the way the player experiences the world has changed significantly" In the original design, players would "enter an area, fight some monsters, and then have a choice: take this reward and go left, or take that reward and go right." Under the new system, however, barriers separating different areas of the game have been removed, enabling players (with some limitations—Chmielarz described Witchfire now as a "semi-open world") to travel where they like, when they like

Chmielarz also addressed questions about Witchfire's release plan, saying it will debut in early access as an Epic Games Store exclusive but go to other storefronts at full release...

https://www.theastronauts.com/2022/10/redesigning-one-witchfire-feature/

Arena style lol I wouldn't of picked it up if that was the case I thought it was suppose to be Action Exploration was wondering it's on my Epic wishlist.

Last edited:
Maybe this will be the first major game to justify buying 40-series cards. It looks incredibly detailed to be a twitchy game like they've shown.

I think they should just stick with what they are good at. I liked painkiller more than doom 3 back in the day and that's what he was been know for making anyways.

Kind of like all games, the longer it takes to release the less impressive the graphics will be. And I think the graphics are half the appeal this game has.

I don't think I'll play this if it doesn't release this year.
The gameplay does look cool, but the graphics were what really had me interested. They were amazing in 2017, still impressive a few years ago. Kinda standard stuff now.

I think they should just stick with what they are good at. I liked painkiller more than doom 3 back in the day and that's what he was been know for making anyways.
oh wow I had no idea this was being developed by some of the og Painkiller devs, cool.

I was obsessed with Painkiller back in the day, the original absolutely rocked me. The stake gun that would stick enemies to walls on whatever body part you shot em on? Get outta town.

They announced this game over 5 years ago and now want to ditch their intended formula to stick with the "everything has to be open world" stigma? Give us a badass Painkiller arena shooter ffs who cares? At this point I'm dying for something more linear. Also knowing about games so many years in advance absolutely sucks.

Back