Witcher 3 4k/60 Success Rate

Epos7

Gawd
Just got a 2080 Super and have been tinkering with it in Witcher 3. I installed the HD Reworked mod, and it looks great.

I still can't seem to get a consistent 60 fps however, and it seems like it should easily be doable on the 2080 Super. I've got hairworks disabled, sharpening set to low, chromatic aberration and vignette turned off. Everything else is ultra/halk ultra.

Just curious if this matches others' experience with the game? There are times in the game where I do get a solid 60fps, and other locations/conditions where it drops into the 50-60 range, which feels really choppy. Is there a "standard" benchmark area or run people are using to compare performance?

sounds about right to me. turn off motion blur and play with a few other setting to up fps a bit.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Shadows & View distance are the FPS killer in W3. Turn view distance down to high or medium & keep shadows on high. You really cant tell too much of a difference with them on ultra.

Standard Benchmark is usually a ride on horseback through Novigrad.

You should be getting 60fps with a 2080 super, whats your CPU? Make sure your NV control panel settings are set to "Maximum Performance" on the GPU.

like this
Funny enough, I have been doing the same thing. Was mid way through a new play through when I upgraded from a 1070 to a 2080 super.

I haven't ran an FPS counter for a long time, at least since getting a Gsynch monitor, but the 2080s upgrade makes everything much smoother, especially in Novigrad. Am I running 60+ fps everywhere? I couldn't say. I have the same settings you have listed, but have sharpening at medium, and hairworks on. The 2080s is a night and day difference from the 1070 performance wise.

What resolution are you gaming at? I would think that a 2080s and a 3900x should have no problems at all running 60+ fps with everything maxed, unless you are running 4k.

I am gaming at 1440 on a i7 4790k, I would think the 3900x make a huge difference.

Edit: completely missed that you were running 4k

Last edited:
There are several areas in W3 that bog down your CPU and GPU, regardless of what specs you have. I run an overclocked 3600 and 2080 Super, and always seean FPS drop to low 50s around the marshy area around the center of the map with the bivouacs, for example (this is will all settings ultra and HD textures).

Edit: I used to see this same drop with my Radeon VII, as well as my 2080 Super, so I don't believe it's a VRAM issue.

Last edited:
like this
Shadows & View distance are the FPS killer in W3. Turn view distance down to high or medium & keep shadows on high. You really cant tell too much of a difference with them on ultra.

Standard Benchmark is usually a ride on horseback through Novigrad.

You should be getting 60fps with a 2080 super, whats your CPU? Make sure your NV control panel settings are set to "Maximum Performance" on the GPU.
I was running the game at 4K with no issues on a 1080 Ti at and around 60FPS, but OP says they are using the HD Reworked mod. I have not played the game with that mod, so cannot comment on performance.

I fired it up about an hour ago, with the steam overlay FPS counter running and was seeing a pretty steady 100fps, with dips into the upper 70s. However, that was out in an openish area, as I am on the Blood on the Battlefield quest.

I would guess that a 2080s running 4k would get around 60fps. A search of 2080s performance for The Witcher3 seems to back that up. You may just be around the fps you will get.

Last edited:
Thanks all!

I turned off motion blur as suggested, and also turned off antialiasing as it's not really needed at 2160p. I played for about an hour last night and I don't think I saw it dip below 60 fps, so I'm happy.

Not complaining about the performance I'm getting, just wanted some honest comparisons as there's a lot of variety in what people claim. Sometimes if someone claims they're running a game at 4K/60, it just means they saw the frame counter hit 60 once 😀

At 1440p I'm around 90 fps with everything maxed/turned on I believe. I'm not sure if the 3900X would make a huge difference over a 4790K for gaming at higher resolutions. Especially at 4K.

I was running the game at 4K with no issues on a 1080 Ti at and around 60FPS, but OP says they are using the HD Reworked mod. I have not played the game with that mod, so cannot comment on performance.

The mod didn't seem to impact performance at all. If anything, I think it improved by a frame or two.

The mod didn't seem to impact performance at all. If anything, I think it improved by a frame or two.
I'll have to try it out. Been wanting to play through it again, anyway. Currently going through the RE series of games I haven't touched yet. Almost done with RE0, have 6 and 7 left which I never finished.

like this
Back