Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition April 17th

Weird. When I used the normal downloader/installer, one of the files came over as corrupted over and over. When I googled it, I guess it was a common issue.
A fix was to get the files 1 at a time from their site, but I guess it's fixed now. I'll have to give this a try when I get home.

The patch was corrupted, so I guess I'll download the full enhanced edition instead. I don't feel like downloading each file individually, so I hope it is fixed somehow...

If you need a fix, go to the Witcher website and download only parts 1 and 2 of the patch. Over-write the patch files the auto-downloader pulled with those and re-run the patch program. That worked for me this morning. I still need to actually play the game, but the patch worked and it at least started up fine.

If you need a fix, go to the Witcher website and download only parts 1 and 2 of the patch. Over-write the patch files the auto-downloader pulled with those and re-run the patch program. That worked for me this morning. I still need to actually play the game, but the patch worked and it at least started up fine.

Thanks. I'll try that later. :)

For anyone else looking to figure out how to backup the game on GoG.com for the DRM free version when owning it on Steam, this post on the steamforums seems to do the trick:

04/17/12 - Activated my Steam key successfully @ gog.com

1. Hit Windows + R

2. Type 'regedit' press enter http://i.imgur.com/x8yFv.png

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Wow6432Node (ONLY IF x64) --> CD Projekt RED --> The Witcher 2

4. Check the "Serial" registry entry, it should show your The Witcher 2 CD-Key! http://i.imgur.com/BNgXn.png

5. (optional) Redeem @ www.gog.com/witcherbackup on the 17th of April!

EDIT #1: For authenticity purposes, the key matches the same format as my other retail copy of the game, so by logic it'll work on redemption @ GoG.

(XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)

EDIT #2: Some users have reported their keys being stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER insteadm of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, try that if you can't find your key.

EDIT #3: As noted by users on page 3; if you do not have a key, go to http://www.thewitcher.com/backup

If, like some people, you don't have a product key entry then send proof of purchase to http://www.thewitcher.com/backup

Last edited:
Broken for me to... I clicked ignore on the error but now the game won't load.

Downloaded part2 manually from their site and it works. Eyefinity does not work though. I select 5760X1080 but the game only fills my middle monitor. To bad since I can't stand playing without eyefinity...

Tried to download last night. Failed to patch to EE.

Installed and downloaded again this afternoon, everything works fine now.

So after some digging it seems that it supports nvsurround but not eyefinity. CDP claims that Nvidia did not pay them but simply worked with them to get surround working. Sounds like a crock of shit. Why do old source engine games and others work fine in eyefinity but not TW2? Did they purposely block triple monitor setups unless nvidia hardware is detected?

If you have existing saves pre-EE DO NOT ENABLE STEAM CLOUD in the options menu. It will screw up the dates and times of the saves and list them in alphabetical order. Pain in the ass, but at least it doesn't corrupt them beside that.

I have heard Chapter 3 saves pre-EE do not work with EE because of major changes that the patch makes in that chapter.

Hope this helps someone.

Getting the EE installer from their website worked fine for me, first try. I played for a couple hours with no trouble.

Almost makes me want to reload W2. I only did one play through to begin with.

waited to play mass effect 1 and 2 until a few weeks before me3 released and played them all in sequence. it was glorious. I regret not playing them sooner but it was very nice to be able to continue immediately.

now I can do that with the witcher enhanced edition games. can't wait to get started tonight :D

waited to play mass effect 1 and 2 until a few weeks before me3 released and played them all in sequence. it was glorious. I regret not playing them sooner but it was very nice to be able to continue immediately.

now I can do that with the witcher enhanced edition games. can't wait to get started tonight :D

Good luck. TW1 and TW2 play very differently. I didn't care for the prior at all, but the later is one of my favorite releases ever.

Good luck. TW1 and TW2 play very differently. I didn't care for the prior at all, but the later is one of my favorite releases ever.

Ditto. I put maybe 5 hours into TW1 but then Kanye West popped up on my screen and said "TW1 I'm happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but TW2 is the best RPG of all time."

True story.

I liked the Witcher 1, but it did take a while before I started to like the combat. I haven't beat it though, because I couldn't decide who to side with. Also it hammered my computer at the time. I had an 8800gt.

Now the Witcher 2 makes me want a new GPU.

Ditto. I put maybe 5 hours into TW1 but then Kanye West popped up on my screen and said "TW1 I'm happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but TW2 is the best RPG of all time."

True story.

Hoping I'll feel the same way :). I don't know what was wrong with it, but I couldn't get in to TW1. I played through it for awhile, left it, then tried it again, and it just doesn't do it for me. I can't put my finger on any specifics as to what it is doing wrong, just doesn't work for me.

However TW2 was cheap so I picked it up on Amazon at one point, and I'm hoping I'll like it better.

The Witcher 1 is very straightforward with the combat. 95% of the time you pretty much just choose the right sword, do a quick combo or two (using the arrow indicator) and then either retreat or repeat. It's not bad, but it's more of a traditional RPG type of system. The dodging and movement are really only to keep you from being surrounded. It's not like you can actually do much after using a dodge, even the one where you hurdle them. The Witcher 2 is somewhere between a TES game and Ninja Gaiden. Dodging/blocking is far more important and controllable this time around.

With the first Witcher game, ignore the dodging mechanics from the tutorial. I found that it made the beginning convoluted, when in reality they don't do much. Focus on the combos and magic and you'll be fine.

It's one of the very few games where I can say the full price was still a bargain.

Exactly, there have been what 5 DLC's? Plus the "Enhanced Edition" which is very close to an expansion pack with the added cutscenes, areas, and NPCs. All of which were completely free...

Oh, and lets throw in the backup copy that is DRM free.

I am buying every one of their games for full price from now on.

Exactly, there have been what 5 DLC's? Plus the "Enhanced Edition" which is very close to an expansion pack with the added cutscenes, areas, and NPCs. All of which were completely free...

Oh, and lets throw in the backup copy that is DRM free.

I am buying every one of their games for full price from now on.

CD Projekt RED is probably the single greatest developer out there. TW2 is a fantastic game all the way around. Great gameplay and story, amazing graphics that really pushed our hardware, and tons of post-release content for free. Their stand on DRM is spot on, and now they have also managed to cater to the console crowd without a single sacrifice by PC gamers.

I mean, seriously, most releases of any sort have an annoyance that we're forced to overlook in order to enjoy the game. None of that applies to TW2. Even if you don't like the gameplay, from a technical standpoint, it's the perfect game.

I'd say that the menu system never really does become natural or effective in TW2. I found myself just as annoyed with it at the end of the game as I was at the beginning. That goes for using a KB/M and a controller, too.
Randomly dividing the inventory screen in half and having a bizarrely separate meditation menu for certain functions were poor decisions. In spite of all of the patches and fixes, those two things have never been touched, too.

I guess this is a good excuse to try and pick up this game one more time. If only there was a mod for a new voice actor for Gerralt (sp?).

I guess this is a good excuse to try and pick up this game one more time. If only there was a mod for a new voice actor for Gerralt (sp?).

Just use the Polish voiceovers with English subtitles.

IMO, both VA's nailed the charachter perfectly, but I know you didn't like the American one.

I'd say that the menu system never really does become natural or effective in TW2. I found myself just as annoyed with it at the end of the game as I was at the beginning. That goes for using a KB/M and a controller, too.
Randomly dividing the inventory screen in half and having a bizarrely separate meditation menu for certain functions were poor decisions. In spite of all of the patches and fixes, those two things have never been touched, too.

Yep, easily the worst part of the game is the menu/inventory. There are a few mods that makes them a bit more effective, now. IMO, the first game had a fantastic menu/inventory/ui.

Anyone know if they fixed that damned portrait NVIDIA Surround bug in which it tries to display a narrow landscape view?

Yep, easily the worst part of the game is the menu/inventory. There are a few mods that makes them a bit more effective, now. IMO, the first game had a fantastic menu/inventory/ui.

I was hoping that there would be mods for the UI at this point. I'm sure I can google it but if anyone knows of some good ones, links would be appreciated.

I was hoping that there would be mods for the UI at this point. I'm sure I can google it but if anyone knows of some good ones, links would be appreciated.

Try Panel Tweaks. I haven't seen any complete remakes for the inventory, but I haven't actually looked.

I bought it on sale recently and read about this update. Since I only had about two hours invested I just shelved it until then. The updater ran the update just fine and the game seems to be running just fine. From all I've read I'm very excited to get lost in this game.

Looks like I am one of the many who cant install the EE edition patch, tried everything suggested and nothing has worked, this sucks.

^Do you have any mods installed? Remove those files, and try again. And if nothing else helps, just re-download the game from Gog.

I got past the pack0.dzip error by downloading files 1 and 2 again manually, but now I get an error on a whole slew of other files in CookedPC folder. FMML

Last edited:
Back