Wish to run an 8800GTX, please advise

todlerix

2[H]4U
I tried to do the FAH GPUv2 but it doesn't work properly.

I'm going to try downloading the GPU2 client from fodling.stanford.edu for the meantime, what should I do in the long run?

What problem did you encounter when you tried it? You can run either GPU2 or GPU3 with the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 flag.

I didn't think to try the GPU3 checkbox since it said fermi on folding.stanford.edu trying it out now

i was getting errors telling me my card was unsupported or I needed drivers, I have the latest official nvidia drivers for the 8800gtx

have directx up to date as well, don't think it plays a part in this project though.

Some other variation led to WU failed multiple times and it told me it was going to take a 4 hour break (after like 30seconds)

I didn't think to try the GPU3 checkbox since it said fermi on folding.stanford.edu trying it out now
The GPU3 client is designed for all cards although not all architectures are optimized yet, but your card should be fine.

i was getting errors telling me my card was unsupported or I needed drivers, I have the latest official nvidia drivers for the 8800gtx
When that happens to me it's either because I don't have proper drivers (not your case) or I didn't expand the desktop to the card.

have directx up to date as well, don't think it plays a part in this project though.
Correct, it doesn't play a role.

Some other variation led to WU failed multiple times and it told me it was going to take a 4 hour break (after like 30seconds)
That is indicative of instability or conflict somewhere but the causes can be many. Once you have the client working, try lowering the frequency of the card if it's OCed. That may solve your issues or not. If not, at least we can rule out frequency or heat-related crashes.

No OC on the card currently, I set GPU3 and forced G80 detection via FAH GPUv2

So far no errors but its still at 0%, I'll give it a bit and see what happens.

Also if I add my [email protected] (turned off OC temporarily) I just use the SMP client with all cores?

The machine is a file server and XBMC media machine, will the GPU3/SMP clients automatically tone themselves down (prioritizing XBMC and other tasks?)

GPU3 WUs typically take several times as long but have similar PPD.

Also if I add my [email protected] (turned off OC temporarily) I just use the SMP client with all cores?
Yes, and if you do run SMP with your card, I strongly recommend you stick with GPU3 for several reasons.

The machine is a file server and XBMC media machine, will the GPU3/SMP clients automatically tone themselves down (prioritizing XBMC and other tasks?)
You will have to play it out and see. I have many mixed GPU/SMP machines and they each have their individual quirks. Once you have everything running and a good idea what your production is like, post numbers here and some of us will see if you're doing OK or point out where you can see improvements along with possible suggestions.

Regarding your last question: I hadn't read it carefully since I'm half asleep, LOL, but F@H clients should relinquish their hold on whatever processors are tied to them with most apps running concurrently, but this is a very simplified answer. With specific concerns to GPU clients: prior to the release of GPU3, I would have issued a strong caveat about running apps that rely heavily on video cards because previous versions of the GPU client were not playing nice at all, and would not relinquish their hold causing all kinds of freezes and slowdowns. GPU3 is very different and much better at that. Another reason to stick with GPU3. Make sure you have SMP client priority set to idle and you should do fine.

Last edited:
No OC on the card currently, I set GPU3 and forced G80 detection via FAH GPUv2

yeah just run the smp on all cores. settings should be in the gpu tracker. also make sure you get a passkey to use on the smp client.

as far as prioritizing, the gpu2 WU's which you are receiving do not like giving up resources for DXVA/hardware accel applications. but everything else will work perfectly fine. sometimes the dxva works fine sometimes it doesnt. if it becomes a hassle just stop the client, watch what ever your watching then turn the client back on. the other thing you can do is in the "gaming" portion of the gpu tracker just add the exe file for your xbmc/video player so that when you turn it on it automatically pauses/closes the client then renables it when you close the video player.

yeah just run the smp on all cores. settings should be in the gpu tracker. also make sure you get a passkey to use on the smp client.

as far as prioritizing, the gpu2 WU's which you are receiving do not like giving up resources for DXVA/hardware accel applications. but everything else will work perfectly fine. sometimes the dxva works fine sometimes it doesnt. if it becomes a hassle just stop the client, watch what ever your watching then turn the client back on. the other thing you can do is in the "gaming" portion of the gpu tracker just add the exe file for your xbmc/video player so that when you turn it on it automatically pauses/closes the client then renables it when you close the video player.

I setup the passkey just before I started tinkering with the 8800GTX, I saw the gaming thing, I'll try that out if they don't play nice.

Thanks guys.

Once my A70 comes in for my 2500k I'll OC beyond 4.2GHZ and see what kind of PPD I can get on it

I let the 8800GTX run while I slept, didn't budge from 0%

FAH GPUv2 GPU 0 enabled, gpu3 client checked, forced g80, no errors, just didn't budge

Ran some furmark and the card didn't have any issue

OK, well that's a surprise. Hmm, did you by any chance also run the SMP client alongside the GPU client?

Therein might be your problem. You will need to increase the GPU core priority to a higher level than the SMP client, otherwise it won't get access to the CPU. I'm assuming that is the only issue. One way to determine if it is would be to shut down the SMP client for a couple of minutes.

Therein might be your problem. You will need to increase the GPU core priority to a higher level than the SMP client, otherwise it won't get access to the CPU. I'm assuming that is the only issue. One way to determine if it is would be to shut down the SMP client for a couple of minutes.

will try, thanks

highly doubt that. all mine are running on idle priority and my gpu's have no problem.

easiest way to check is to make sure that the cards actually folding by checking the load on the card. even though the client says its folding doesn't always mean it is.

also another thing, the Force_gpu nvidia_G80 on the gpu3 client is not the same as Force_gpu nvidia_G80 on the gpu2 client. on the gpu2 client it tell's the client its a G80 GPU, on the gpu3 client all it tell's the client is to download GPU2 WU's. though it shouldn't make a difference, but make sure your actually running a gpu2 WU and not a GPU 3 WU. if i remember correctly the G80's can not fold GPU3 WU's.

highly doubt that. all mine are running on idle priority and my gpu's have no problem.

easiest way to check is to make sure that the cards actually folding by checking the load on the card. even though the client says its folding doesn't always mean it is..
I don't know what else could cause the freeze other than a corrupt WU. I suggested the only thing to my experience that gave me similar problems in the past. :confused:

Regarding the -nvidia_g80 flag, if he's running the GPU3 client he'll need it because his card is an 8800GTX. It's unnecessary for the GPU2 client and I usually don't use it unless I'm running GPU3. Anyway, if he posts which WU was giving him issues some of the variables could be eliminated.

Tried downloading gpu2 client from folding.stanford.edu, wouldn't launch said gpu incompatible used the forcegpu_g80 and it loaded, put in username/team/passkey and then let it go, check back a couple hours later, 11 download attempts failed, firewall is off and i was able to download WU before with fah gpuv2 so not sure what thats about

FAH GPUv2 with gpu3 and g80 forced project 11177 never went beyond 0.0% no gpu usage at all

FAH GPUv2 without gpu3 and g80 forced project 10514 it was failing [UNSTABLE_MACH was the only bit of the error message I could see.

Tried downloading gpu2 client from folding.stanford.edu, wouldn't launch said gpu incompatible used the forcegpu_g80 and it loaded, put in username/team/passkey and then let it go, check back a couple hours later, 11 download attempts failed, firewall is off and i was able to download WU before with fah gpuv2 so not sure what thats about

FAH GPUv2 with gpu3 and g80 forced project 11177 never went beyond 0.0% no gpu usage at all

FAH GPUv2 without gpu3 and g80 forced project 10514 it was failing [UNSTABLE_MACH was the only bit of the error message I could see.

yeah see the force_gpu flag isn't working on the gpu3 client.. 11177 is a gpu3 WU which G80's cant do. the 10514 is a gpu2 WU which it should have no problem doing. which now leads to being either a driver problem or something is wrong with the card.

You could be right sirmonkey, but after experiencing all the bizarre anomalies I've been seeing with my GTX 295, I believe anything can happen and the card still be OK. People were quick to point out my card was the problem but it wasn't. Even my POS Skulltrail probably isn't/wasn't the problem for once. After more than a week seeing all the problems one can imagine with GPU including weird things I've never seen anyone report such as the display going blank causing a total system freeze, my card is working now following a driver reinstall and some further tinkering. Even now I still don't really know what caused my issues.

I am using these drivers on a 9800GX2 without issue. I am also still folding on a 8800GTX on Win7, but using a much older driver (185.xx is likely). This is my my wife's daily driver so I'll need to take a look at the box to see what drivers I am using there.

me personally, i prefer the 258.96 drivers. have been the smoothest running drivers out of the 2xx.xx series drivers. that and nvidia no longer does updates for the 8 series anymore. i would of gone back to the 198.xx drivers but since the 258.96's support duel gpu without dummy plug's i'll stick with these.

me personally, i prefer the 258.96 drivers. have been the smoothest running drivers out of the 2xx.xx series drivers. that and nvidia no longer does updates for the 8 series anymore. i would of gone back to the 198.xx drivers but since the 258.96's support duel gpu without dummy plug's i'll stick with these.
Why prefer v198.96 over all the others out of curiosity?

Back