Wish to make a case out of soundproofing material

todlerix

2[H]4U
I can hear very high frequency noises and its terribly annoying if I just want to use my computer for some surfing and I have to play music (fairly loud) to drown it out.

My current stance is to make a shell to sit over the top of the computer, I dont have a case atm.

I'm thinking of buying this:
http://shop3.mailordercentral.com/supersoundproofing/prodinfo.asp?number=09-42760

2x 1 foot by 4 foot section going from one wall to the other

From wall to motherboard edge to 1.5ft by 2ft, and then put a make shift lid from the same roll of soundproof stuff.

Just to clarify, nothing will be mounted to the sound proofing material, this computer will never move, it'd just be something that sits right over it to dampen the noise (hopefully a lot)

Thoughts?

This may be of interest: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4155/puget-systems-serenity-spcr-edition

Also that 4870 is one of the loudest video cards I have ever owned. Would recommend changing that out first.

I'll be getting a new video card for diablo3/gw2

But the video card contributes virtually no noise while surfing, if I'm playing a game I can't hear my computer anyways and my 4870 is not loud at all even under full load (unless its manually set to full blast)

What are your temperatures?? could be your hsf is dying out.

I'm confident my video card is fine, thank you for your concern, but my goal is to effectively mute my computer lets get back on topic.

I, too, hear high-pitched noises from electronics and it can be annoying. It's not tinnitus or any form of hearing damage and it's not consistent. It's also not the squeal heard when capacitors are damaged. Best example I can give is that frequently when someone turns on an electronic object like a TV, I can hear a high-pitched whinel that none of my friends ever notice. This can happen even when a TV is in a house 20 yards away and I'm outside walking down the street. It's not consistent nor that annoying, but I've avoided certain electronics purchases because of this.

Anyhow, OT, the soundproofing material seems like a good plan although IMO, before you spend the cash, it would be wise to build a mock-up using cardboard/shoeboxes/etc. That way you can test temps to make sure extended gaming sessions on a hot day don't get too toasty. If you really wanna deaden noise, some sort of baffles could help even futher. Check out silentpcreview.com and perhaps even see if one of the tech guys at a place like sweetwater can help you with some advice. The basic idea isn't just to contain the soundwaves, it's to reflect them off multiple absorbent surfaces until there is no energy left to reach your ears.

I, too, hear high-pitched noises from electronics and it can be annoying. It's not tinnitus or any form of hearing damage and it's not consistent. It's also not the squeal heard when capacitors are damaged. Best example I can give is that frequently when someone turns on an electronic object like a TV, I can hear a high-pitched whinel that none of my friends ever notice. This can happen even when a TV is in a house 20 yards away and I'm outside walking down the street. It's not consistent nor that annoying, but I've avoided certain electronics purchases because of this.

Exactly what I experience.

Anyhow, OT, the soundproofing material seems like a good plan although IMO, before you spend the cash, it would be wise to build a mock-up using cardboard/shoeboxes/etc. That way you can test temps to make sure extended gaming sessions on a hot day don't get too toasty. If you really wanna deaden noise, some sort of baffles could help even futher. Check out silentpcreview.com and perhaps even see if one of the tech guys at a place like sweetwater can help you with some advice. The basic idea isn't just to contain the soundwaves, it's to reflect them off multiple absorbent surfaces until there is no energy left to reach your ears.

Thank you.

Back