Wirless N battle royale... Need Help deciding winner. Which rouer is best?

mrt2

n00b
So I'm looking through forums and reading about the different options and I’ve come down to these 4 models... I'm looking to buy this weekend some time would like to know you guys advice or opinions or experiences with these models...

So far we have:

The D-Link DIR 655:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530

Apple Airport Extreme: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...;nplm=MB053LL/A

Linksys WRT300N: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...d=6154239789B01

Linksys WRT600N: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...d=1175239789B05

Decisions Decisions, which one to get?

D-Link DIR-855 is probably your best bet. The DIR-655 is still good, but I think the 855 is easily an affordable successor.

D-Link DIR-855 is probably your best bet. The DIR-655 is still good, but I think the 855 is easily an affordable successor.

You think the DIR 855 is "affordable" at around $300+ (best street price I can find legit)

LOL...

What about the DGL4500 which, according to SmallNetBuilder at least, does "90 percent" of what the DIR855 is supposed to do for south of $200, which still isn't real cheap but we're getting somewhere.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30250/96/

As it stands, good luck getting a DIR855 since they had to be temporarily yanked off shelves due to quality control issues.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30337/97/

Read that and read the user comments as well.

^^ The reason I'm posting this is because I'm basically in the same boat the OP is. After over 4 years I'm ready to make an upgrade.

If I go with one of these D-link products, the only companion dual band piece I see from them right now is the DWA 160 USB adapter. I'll need something for the second desktop that's about two floors away from where the router will be.

I basically haven't decided whether to just pull the trigger on the DGL4500 now or see if the DIR 855 really ends up being worth it or not.

Otherwise I can forget the whole dual band thing and simply get a DIR 655 and appropriate companion pieces and be on my way.

Do people find that they have better performance using two identical routers, with one set in AP mode vs. a router and then adapter of some sort? Obviously that's a more expensive way of doing things but I was just curious.

Yup, that's a frequent favorite of mine. :)

It'll be interesting to see where the DIR 855 falls in on those charts. I'd also like to be more clear on exactly what the DIR 855 has over the DGL 4500.

I think the 855 does simultaneous dual band, while the 4500 can be configured to use either (but not both simult), but i could be wrong.

I would assume the 855 will be almost identical in performance to the 4500 as far as speed and range. Has anyone used the 855 before the recall? I am just curious whether the D-Link will be the one to get in the next few months over the Linksys WRT600.

I will add my own 'lols' to people suggesting the 855.

I would suggest getting the DGL-4500 since it has slightly improved performance than the DIR-655. Sure the 4500's LCD is a gimmick but I am happy since I upgraded to it from the 655. Do not forget to get N file transfer speeds, you need N NICs.

I would add the you need N adapters from the same mfg as the router to maximize bandwidth. The 855 looked interesting mainly because it could do dual band.

I would add the you need N adapters from the same mfg as the router to maximize bandwidth. The 855 looked interesting mainly because it could do dual band.

Good point.

The only dual band "companion" product that I see from D-link that goes with either the dual band DGL 4500 or DIR 855 would be the DWA 160 USB adapter.

I'd just like to find one that works as a router and works correctly with the intel 4965 chip. My WRT-350N does neither correctly.

I love my DIR 655, I just got it two days ago but it is great. Never had the connection drop, very fast, much better over the WRT150N which was to say the least, a piece of crap.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I do need a router than can do N and G at the SAME TIME... this is a very important spec for me. And I also need a router that has a companion adapter that I can put on a different floor... Price is not really an issue here but I'm not going to pay $300+ for a solutions that 'kinda works' or 'kind does what I need'. I guess my needs are simple but apparently hard to find. I need something that does N and G at the same time, can do port forwarding for specific apps/ports that need to be mapped to only my pc. And a I need a companion adapter to place on another floor. Currently I'm running a:
MacPro, 1 Macbook, 1 Macbook Pro, 1 Mac Mini, 1 Pc Laptop....

I need all of those devices to be able to use it simultaneously and they vary from G and N. Also I'm TIRED OF MY WIRELESS NETWORK BEING DROPPED! LOL My WRT54GL drops people from the wireless like theres no tomorrow.

I would get the DIR 655, but that's only because I've had a very positive experience with it.

You would get the DIR 655 over the DGL4500? Both of these allow the use of G and N at the same time right?

if you want n and g at the same time, skip the 4500. G dosent work on the 5ghz band, and you can only have one band activated at a time, since the router uses a single radio. It sounds like the 655 is what you want.

On another note, if your thinking N is going to be better going through a floor than your old G network was, I think you will be disappointed. Especially if you spend the money on a dual band router, since 5ghz has a shorter range than 2.4. You might want to look into some directional antennae for your current WRT54GL.

This WRT54GL is the worst router I've ever had... it drops people like there is no tomorrow... Is there another router out there that's more reliable that maybe I can use another adapter on a different floor to extend the signal?

This WRT54GL is the worst router I've ever had... it drops people like there is no tomorrow... Is there another router out there that's more reliable that maybe I can use another adapter on a different floor to extend the signal?

Do you have DDWRT running on it?

Back