wiring 2 sats on one chan

s8n

Limp Gawd
Well I'm wondering if I could wire 2 sats per channel on my sony receiver. Most of my speakers ended up in the livingroom, but I was left with my Sony receiver [it got replaced with the onkyo] and my jbl n38's [they were replaced by polk 2000p's]. So I'm left w/o my old center and 2 surround speakers.

I was hoping to wire 2 sats per surround sound chan and then buying a jbl n-center to complete the pair. Eventually down the road I would like buy some N28's for some surrounds, but I'm on an extreme budget after x-mas. The receiver is rated at 80w per chan, and the sats can handle max 80w. I'm somewhat new to the more advanced aspects of wiring. The only downside I can think of is that the sat's won't get enough power. By wiring 2 per chan I just want to run some speaker cable from the one that's already hooked up. Can I f_ck anything up doing this?

Okay, if the receiver supports 4-Ohm loads on those channels then wire the + to the + and the - to the -. That would make the 2 speakers (most likely 8-ohm separately), a 4-ohm load. If it doesn't support that you'd wire the + from the receiver to the + on the first speaker, then from the - on that speaker to the + on the second speaker, and wire the - from the second speaker to the receiver's -. That would give you a 16-Ohm load, which it would most likely be able to handle more easily, albeit more quietly...in that case, it'd probably not be worth doing that...I dunno though...

[Replace 2-Ohms with 4 on the receiver and 4-Ohms with 8 on the speakers]
2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.gif

[Replace 8-Ohms with 16 on the receiver and 4-Ohms with 8 on the speakers]
2_4ohmSVC_8ohm.gif

Back