Wireless USB IntelliMouse doesn't power on after standby

Yesterday, I picked up a Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 to replace my aging wired IntelliMouse. When it works, its tremendous.

I like to put my computer in S3 standby every night. When I started it up this morning, the mouse's IR receiver wouldn't power on. This had never been a problem with my wired mouse, which was also a USB device.

I tried plugging the receiver into different USB ports, and nothing happened. I took my former mouse out of the cobwebs, and it worked fine in every USB port. I restarted Windows, but the receiver still wouldn't register. A cold reboot was required to restore functionality to it.

Have wireless mice given you similar problems when returning from standby? Were you able to resolve these issues?

If you go to device manager and look at properties for the USB ports there is an option to power down the USB port when needed. If you disable that option it may resolve your issue.

I've disabled that for every port, but it still happens.

In fact, full shut downs are affected, as well. If I shut down the computer and start it up a few seconds later, the receiver will power on without a problem. However, if I leave it off for an extended period of time (more than 5 minutes,) it won't respond at all upon restart. To get it back, another cold reboot is needed.

Does this sound unusual?

Edited to add: This occurs both when connected via USB and PS/2

Yea, it does sound unusual. The mouse should wake up the PC when you move it so it shouldn't power down at all. Maybe it is a setting in your bios that is causing it? There are settings in the bios for power management too.

Back