Wireless USB adapter match for Netgear X6 router?

nightfly

2[H]4U
I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 tri band router using it's standard up to date firmware (1.0.4.28).
What would be a good wireless usb3 adapter to attach to my PC's to make the most of it's capabilities? This router will be in the center of my vacation home which is approx 60'x60' including front and back enclosed porches; the exterior walls are basically plywood, (T 111), and the inner walls are all either plain plaster wallboard or wooden paneling. No second floor or basement. I have crawlspaces, but don't want to have to crawl around them to run ethernet.

Right now, I'm using a single usb corded Trendnet TEW-684UB adapter which still only runs N (and not AC) so it's limited to 450 Mbps (which it does, and while it streams 1080 just fine, I don't just want to get another as it's probably out of date already). I move it from pc to pc, but would rather just get another one that can do 802.11 AC.
Are there adapters which will use all three (one 2.4, the others 5.0) channels concurrently?

Also, I understand that the antenna number and size might be indicative of potential signal strength? Is that correct? Or are the microwaves so small that a tiny adapter with no visible antennas would be equal to one with several six inch antennas?

Might try this Netgear USB NIC. It can at least use all the channels, though I'm not sure about using them concurrently- I've seen a trend of adapters getting away from that.

But in general, your router is rated well for range, and the above linked adapter should be able to match it (it's 3x4 MIMO).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. For some bizarre reason, Amazon didn't show me that one when I searched, but of course showed me all the rest of the Netgear mini adapters. The reviews show it might have heat and realtek driver issues, but using only the Netgear driver it's seems to work fine.

Back