Wireless strength fluctuating

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
I just got the Dlink DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G wireless router with the G520 Dlink PCI wireless card (XtremeG as well). Anyways when I first got everything working I got a 20% signal strength. Well, figuiring that this was from the top of my house, upstairs where the router is, all the way down to the basement, the signal strength was understandable. But then it dropped to 6%, and then disconnects all the time, without either sides moving.

A friend of mine told me that sometimes there are outside interferences around your geographical location such as transformers and stuff, that can interfere with your wireless connection. What types of outside things can cause really really bad interference? I also live in a wooded area, where the houses are not clustered right next to each other, rather I'm on top of a hill, and the nearest house is about two average sized house lengths apart.

Anyways, it was steady for a bit, then fell to shit. Any suggestions? I am trying to move them as close as possible but I'm not understanding this, shouldn't the strength be relatively constant?

I am using default settings at the moment, and I tried changing to WEP encryption and all the other defaults, but I can't manage anything right now cause there's no god damn connection!!! :mad:

Thanks in advance for all useful help!

Have you gotten the latest firmware for your router and latest drivers for your card?

Also, try experimenting with changing the channels that your wireless connection is on. It can improve your connection with your router.

This is really annoying now, since I upgraded the firmware on the router, I am unable to change the channel settings on it. There used to be a drop down list of all channels, and after the firmware upgrade, the fucking drop down list is empty. What gives? Who else has the DLINK ExtremeG wireless router? DI-624 model, rev. C to be exact.

Alright, the drop down list was due to a Firebird issue. Anyhow, I have found that the only reliable channel is channel 3.... and it only gives 12% :(

If you have any 2.4GHz cordless phones or wireless mice/keyboards, they have been known to cause interference problems.

Back