wireless signal suddenly available but I'm in BFE....

melissa

n00b
So I live in a itty bitty town where my only option is dialup and my neighbors are all old and/or computer illiterate.

I turned on my laptop and whadd'ya know, wireless connection available. low signal. Have never had a signal around here. Name of connection is "Linksys", so I'm assuming it's an individual with a home network.

I'm really curious as to who this could be. Is there any way to find out where it's coming from (w/out buying one of those wifi finders), or at least contact them?

walk around your neighborhood with your pc\laptop and watch the signal get stronger and zero in on it

Other than walking around and trying to find where the signal gets strongest your pretty much out of luck. Try using NetStumbler (netstumbler.com), this will help you find where the signal is strongest.

First of all, that Linksys wireless network is likely a neighbor's. I hope you're not expecting it to be some ISP with a magical pot of bandwidth for you to use. :)

Chances are, when you tell them you see their wireless network, they'll get a little concerned. If their wireless network is open for you to associate with and connect to now, pretty soon it might not be.

I'd just sit back and use it if you can. :)

Netstumbler is about as good as it gets for Windows in terms of apps that find wireless points and gives you a good signal strength indicator.

Back