Wireless routers slow your connection speed.

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a linksys WRT56G Ver 6 wireless router. I mainly bought it so that I could use it with my PS3, my computer does not need the router. I did some speed test on www.speedtest.net and here are my results.
These are results with the wireless router.

This is without the wireless router

How the test was done is I did first run with wireless router, then for second run and third I just unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the pc and connected my modem directly no wireless router in this run, then for the last one I unplugged the modem connected it back into the wireless router and then the router to the lan port of the PC. In none of the runs were the internet window closed or the computer reset, I waited till the computer displayed it was connected, I am running Vista RC1.

Just letting ppl know since this is something everyone should know, there should no be any speed penalty for using a wireless router, I am considering to see if the router will function connected to my 2nd lan slot and the first slot directly to my modem. I have a 680i mobo so I get two Ethernet ports. I will see if there's a work around for this.

The speed penalty you're showing here is minimal. Also, adding a router does add a bit of overhead. Lastly, a Linksys WRT54G v6 is not exactly known for its stellar performance in the first place.

All in all, things like NAT, SPI firewalls, and the other things that router's do add a small amount of overhead.

Back