Wireless Router as Wireless Bridge

l008com

Limp Gawd
So Right now you can get the Netgreat MR814 wireless router for under $30 new from amazon and other plcaes.
Its a Router, 4 port switch, wireless access point all in one. The problem is, really old machines can't take wireless cards, so you need a wireless-ethernet bridge. And they stlil cost $80 or so. Very annoying. But I was thinking, and there must be a way to hack a firmware for the MR814, so that it acts as a bridge instead of a router? It has all the components it needs. It just needs to use them a little differently. Plus I bet most people could use this same trick for thier PlayStation2's. Has anyone done anything like this before, or done anything similar with another cheap router brand? Lemme Know.

I've done this with an SMC Barricade WiFi router. All I did was turn off the built in DHCP server. Uplinked it to my wired switch and then just statically assigned my laptop (WiFi) with an IP in the same subnet, DNS, and gateway as my Wired network... That's it, works exactly like a Wired to WiFi bridge.

The only possible *gotcha* is don't use the "WAN" port on the WiFi router. all the other ports are fair game though. I turned off the DHCP server because it would only assign itself as the gateway, and since I have a very nice firewall/router already in place I didn't need to use the barricade as a firewall/router.

Originally posted by df12
I've done this with an SMC Barricade WiFi router. All I did was turn off the built in DHCP server. Uplinked it to my wired switch and then just statically assigned my laptop (WiFi) with an IP in the same subnet, DNS, and gateway as my Wired network... That's it, works exactly like a Wired to WiFi bridge.

The only possible *gotcha* is don't use the "WAN" port on the WiFi router. all the other ports are fair game though. I turned off the DHCP server because it would only assign itself as the gateway, and since I have a very nice firewall/router already in place I didn't need to use the barricade as a firewall/router.

Wait wait can you explain what you did again, in much much more detail?
Thanks

Addition: Hey wait a minute, so how did you choose the wireless network that your SMC connected to?

Back