Wireless router and FIOS

any is fine. The FiOS router has built in wireless, so you will disable that. If you have TV through FiOS, you will need to let the FiOS router maintain DHCP, so fo your 'new' router you'll need to diable that as well. Also setup your gateway to use the FiOS one.

I looked at all the fios routers. They are all wireless g. can't you just not get one of there routers and just simply use your own for the internet.

Ok maybe should have mentioned this. Wife and I bought a home. The home currently has FIOS tv. We are thinking about keeping the fios tv and adding the fios internet.

All of there wireless routers are g. The wireless n have better range and speed.

Even if you do have TV service you can still use your own router. I personally called up and had them switch the ONT over to cat5. I then just double nat'd the fios router (plugged the fios router's WAN port into any LAN port on your new router) and forgot about it. You NEED the fios router because thats how the set top boxes get their information for their guides.

Yeah, that's true that you can plug their router into yours...

Theres better ways to go about it, and some people dont like it, but double NAT'ing is just the easiest. I have no real need for the STB's to be directly connected to the rest of my LAN.

So the router I get will get the internet thru ethernet and act as a wireless n access point.

Yepp. You have to call up FiOS tech support and get them to switch the ONT over to cat5. this is fairly common. Get them to break your dhcp lease while you have them on the phone. Any time you switch the router you will need to do this. VZ keeps track of the MAC address of your router and wont lease your another IP if the lease for your old one is still active.

Theres better ways to go about it, and some people dont like it, but double NAT'ing is just the easiest. I have no real need for the STB's to be directly connected to the rest of my LAN.

I have no real opinion on it, I don't have fios tv so I just have my router directly hooked up to the etherenet on the ONT :)

the easiest approach is the one I mentioned. You have to use their router, so just get a wireless router you like, then disable wireless on the FiOS router. Plug in your new one to the wireless router over cat5, and setup your wireless router to use the FiOS router as the gateway, and disable DHCP.

Back