Wireless range extenders

Fothermucker

2[H]4U
Hello all. I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to wireless networking.
I currently have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router in my basement. The computer on the second floor has a Linksys USB wireless ethernet bridge. I am getting very weak signal on this PC and can barely browse the web. I purchased a Linksys wireless range extender which seems to do nothing. I also have a WET54GS5 wireless ethernet bridge which I am about to try.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

The usb device isn't really a bridge, it's a client device. Just has a little PC card in the enclosure. Have you played around with placement, both with the client piece as well as the Access Point. A repeater, what your calling a range extender would go somewhere between the AP and the client, associate to the AP and repeat the signal to the client. Obviously it has to be setup correctly.
You'd use the WET Bridge if you wanted to connect a wired machine. So if your workstation has a wired ethernet port it might be a useable solution. The bridge will probably have a slightly better antenna on it than the USB client device.

ktwebb said:
The usb device isn't really a bridge, it's a client device. Just has a little PC card in the enclosure. Have you played around with placement, both with the client piece as well as the Access Point. A repeater, what your calling a range extender would go somewhere between the AP and the client, associate to the AP and repeat the signal to the client. Obviously it has to be setup correctly.
You'd use the WET Bridge if you wanted to connect a wired machine. So if your workstation has a wired ethernet port it might be a useable solution. The bridge will probably have a slightly better antenna on it than the USB client device.

along with those options, you might want to try a high gain antenna on your linksys access point. This will give you a better received signal on your USB client device, but as to increase the USB client output signal, you can always hack the device to increase the output power, but before care to keep the impedance the same as the antenna if possible.

Ok when I go to wireless settings in XP it gives me a choice of wireless networks to connect to.
"linksys" is the wireless router in the basement
"linksys 1st floor" is a repeater on the first floor
"linksysRf08200" is the repeater WRE54G here in this room

connecting to the router in the basement yeilds a weak signal and no useable internet access

connecting to the repeater on the first floor does the same thing as above

connecting to the repeater up here gives a great connection but a bogus IP address in DHCP.
the network I am trying to get on is 192.168.2.1

Called Linksys tech support

They advised me to press the auto config button on the repeater within 2 feet of the router
make sure the router's firmware is up to date ( it is) and that WEP is disable which it is.

Back