Wireless Project - Woodland

JayGannon

n00b
Hey guys looking for some advice:

I've been asked to come up with a solution to the following problem.

In the middle of a woodland area we have a single IP camera, it is battery powered and has no option for a hardline connection.

Person wants to be able to receive the cameras feed wirelessly at the maximum range available, up to 3km if possible using consumer level equipment, i.e laptop or phone on the receiving end.

Transmission equipment must be 12v as it will also be powered off of a battery system.

The system must be mobile so no towers etc, mounting the aerial on a tree is possible so factor in a height of say 40-60 feet is available. Mesh is not an option but a single repeater(again battery powered) may be if necessary.

Coverage within a 180 degree zone is acceptable but 360 degree is preferred.

What kind of gear should I be looking at for the above, wired networks Im good with but wireless is something that my experience is limited to indoor deployments.

Any advice from those with more long range experience than me will be greatly appreciated. This is very much a project so DIY/Used gear etc is perfectly fine.

The problem is the receiving device's ability to transmit back to the receiver. While the AP may be strong enough to reach, the receiving device isn't strong enough to transmit back.

Also 2.4 GHz doesn't do well going through trees.

You'll have a lot better luck asking this on the ubiquiti forums.

Crossposted there aswell =)
I know its a tricky one, at the very least I would assume a 5ghz connection would be superior to 2.4 for penetration of the woodland becaue of the narrower beamwidth.

It actually has poorer penetration because the wavelengths are shorter compared to a shorter wavelength. That's why 3G and CDMA use 850 and 900 MHz (Not sure on the exact frequency, but around there). The lower the frequency the better the penetration. Higher frequencies are faster, but with poorer penetration.

Hi,

I have deploy several Motorola Mesh Wide Area Network AP 7181 in some big forest in Portugal for CCTV wireless cameras, wireless pda's and laptops, and until now we don't have any issues.

Define mobile.

Do you want to drive around in a car and receive the signal all the time, or will you be setting up some kind of camp, where setup time of an hour or so is acceptable?

In any case, have you considered cellular for both the camera and receiver?

Back