wireless problems in high rise, go N?

jblue42

Limp Gawd
So I have a DLINK DIR-655 router, and have terrible wireless speeds both for the internet and network transfers. I have a Macbook and a desktop PC both within 40 feet of the wireless router that need connection, they both have G adapters. Problem is there is something like 30 wireless networks in range, so Im guessing the poor performance is from interference? I have scanned the channels in use, and pretty much all are in use multiple times, but even when I set it to a channel thats not in use I still get slow transfer speeds... I can't stream HD video, and it takes ~80 mins to transfer a 4GB file...

Should I upgrade my adapters to N? Will this most likely get rid of my interference problem, as many people dont have this more expensive technology yet?

Thanks!

never heard of A

the DIR-655 supports:
IEEE 802.11n (draft)
IEEE 802.11g
IEEE 802.11b
IEEE 802.3
IEEE 802.3u

I really dont want a new router, I just bought this one.

The simplest, most effective and cheapest solution is wires.

Im not going to run a wire through the living room, down the hall, into the bedroom, around the bedroom to the PC on the other side of the room.

Since I have a D-Link router, should I get a D-Link N(draft) network card? Also, it must be PCI, as I don't have PCI express slots on this PC. Anyone have experience with D-Link PCI n adapters?

You could certainly try to upgrade to N adapters, although I wouldn't expect a huge increase because the way it sounds your airwaves are saturated with interference. If wires really aren't an option (although they will 100% fix your file transfer issues) you may want to look at 802.11a (as someone mentioned) as a router and adapters that support it may cost about the same as two new N adapters, plus if you're current router is new, you could sell it and recoup that money. It sounds like you're pretty suck just based on your living situation, which is unfortunate because there aren't any good options for you at this point.

Ok, well I'm still within the return period for my DIR-655, so I'll try the DIR-4500 which supports 802.11a as well as all the others on the 655. My macbook already supports 802.11a so I won't even need a new adapter for that, I'll just need an 'a' adapter for the desktop in the bedroom. Thanks for all your help, Ill let you know how it goes.

Back