wireless only works on battery power not on ac power

oryan_dunn

n00b
I've got a Compaq V2718WM notebook that the wireless only works when it is running only on battery power. If I plug in the AC line, the wireless cuts out, usually saying "limited or no conectivity". I've had a support thread opened with HP, and they have tried several different solutions, starting with new wireless drivers, a new firmware (both of which were the same version as was currently installed), and the latest is "minimal power management" in the power options control panel. The final solution seems to have solved the problem. Now, my question is what did this change that allowed the wireless to function while on AC power?

I'm just wondering as I plan on installing Suse on this machine, and want to make sure the hardware is fully funcitonal as getting wireless to work in Linux may be a bit of a headache. I don't want to go past my return period and find out the hardware was at fault and not Linux, so it needs to work flawlessly within Windows first.

Thanks,
Ryan

Pharoke

n00b
oryan_dunn said:
I've got a Compaq V2718WM notebook that the wireless only works when it is running only on battery power. If I plug in the AC line, the wireless cuts out, usually saying "limited or no conectivity". I've had a support thread opened with HP, and they have tried several different solutions, starting with new wireless drivers, a new firmware (both of which were the same version as was currently installed), and the latest is "minimal power management" in the power options control panel. The final solution seems to have solved the problem. Now, my question is what did this change that allowed the wireless to function while on AC power?

I'm just wondering as I plan on installing Suse on this machine, and want to make sure the hardware is fully funcitonal as getting wireless to work in Linux may be a bit of a headache. I don't want to go past my return period and find out the hardware was at fault and not Linux, so it needs to work flawlessly within Windows first.

Thanks,
Ryan
iirc minimal power management means windows will not shut off devices when using Ac to conserve power. Some network adapters get confused when they are shut down for no apparent reason.