Wireless Networking Trouble! HELP!

I just got a Wireless Router with 4 port switch and a Wireless Card. I have 2 computers, one upstairs and one downstairs. The cable modem is right near the downstair computer so I put the router there and did a wired connection to my downstairs computer and the cable modem. That works good. But the upstairs has the wireless card in it, and I can't get it to work. The card came with a program that lets me see the status of the card. It is a config utility for the card. I changed some settings and got the router to show up in Ad-Hoc mode, which is basically P2P. But even in that mode, I cannot see the other computer in network neighborhood, or am I supposed to? I basically need to share a internet connection to upstairs wirelessly. If anyone can help me, please IM me at NekrotikKarnage on AIM. Thanks

The card and router should be in Infrastructure mode for the wireless PCs and wired PCs to communicate.

You also have to make sure that the wireless card is using the same SSID as the router.

Have you tried broadcasting the SSID for testing purposes? And on the Wireless Card end of it, select DHCP so it gets all the info from the router?

Alex

Did you do what Chelica posted?

Turn on SSID broadcast and don't have any encryption enabled. See if you have any problems getting a connection.

Once you can connect, then start implementing the security.

Is it possible that the router's signals aren't even reaching the card? The wireless Computer is on the other side of the side upstairs, and the router is downstairs on the opposite side of the house. When I said the I can connect via Ad Hoc, I think what is happening is the card is actually connecting to itself, because in the wireless config utility that came with the card, I can put in any SSID and put it in Ad Hoc and it will still say I am connected. I can put in oidjkdjdjdhdk as a SSID and it will say Connected to oidjkdjdjdhdk. So I think the card is actually talking to itself. Also would I have to set any IP addresses for the card, or should giving the router and the card the same SSID be enough?

There is no Ad-Hoc for AP's, or in your case Router/AP combo's. It will be in infrastructure by default. It will also be broadcasting it's SSID by default. Even the high end enterprise AP's ship with broadcast SSID enabled. Some AP's cand bridge or be used as a workgroup bridge but AP/Routers cannot. Don't worry about broadcasing or changing the AP to infrastructure. Both are already on. What OS are you using on the client machine? You might also try installing something like NetStumber. Assuming your card is supported it will detect AP beacons where a client utility like the one built into XP or the native card's utility will not. That or move the PC closer to the AP. Also, if it is an interference issue (unlikely. you'd at least get an association to the AP), then changing the channel on the AP to say 11 if it is on 1 or 6 may help with that.

There is no Ad-Hoc for AP's, or in your case Router/AP combo's. It will be in infrastructure by default. It will also be broadcasting it's SSID by default. Even the high end enterprise AP's ship with broadcast SSID enabled. Some AP's cand bridge or be used as a workgroup bridge but AP/Routers cannot. Don't worry about broadcasing or changing the AP to infrastructure. Both are already on. What OS are you using on the client machine? You might also try installing something like NetStumber. Assuming your card is supported it will detect AP beacons where a client utility like the one built into XP or the native card's utility will not. That or move the PC closer to the AP. Also, if it is an interference issue (unlikely. you'd at least get an association to the AP), then changing the channel on the AP to say 11 if it is on 1 or 6 may help with that.

IP: Logged

My OS on the wired computer is ME and the OS on the Wireless Computer is 98SE. I will try net stumbler.

I tried Netstumbler and it says at the bottom, No wireless card found, but it is in my machine and my machine recognizes it. Also in the devices pull down menu, My card is listed but it is grayed out.

Um I think we may have a problem, a big problem. Ever since I got the router, I have been getting messages through AIM about how my screen name is on in 2 places. Then tonight when I got back home I noticed weird symbols in my driveway but couldn't make them out to good because it was dark out. They call this War Driving or War Chalking. People with laptops can sniff out wireless setups and hack into your network. What does this mean? What can they do? Can they see what is on my computer screen right now? Can they get my files? Oh well at least it shows the thing works.

you need to go to google and search for guides on wireless security such as changing the router password, changing and disabling the broadcast of the SSID, enabling WEP and MAC filtering.

There might be a good chance that someone is peaking into your network so you must setup your security.

All they probably can see is any shared folders if they were able to join your network.

I disabled Wireless entirely for now. I am getting my friend over here in a few minutes to see if he can do it. He goes to school for networking.

Back