Wireless Networking - Linksys Wireless Router/AP

Jeepers

n00b
I have a Linksys Wireless router upstairs. I have two cables running from it to downstairs and one pc connected to it there. I have multiple laptops in the house and they are mostly used upstairs and have no problem accessing the router via the wireless.
Downstairs however the signal is weak. Since I have the second wire already running from this router down there, I was thinking that I would add a Linksys wireless access point to it. It would get signal from the wire and allow better wireless signal downstairs.
Can I do this? Will I have to have two wireless networks? Will there be any interference?
Anyone done this?

As long as you put each router/access point on different channels it will work fine. You can assign the same SSID to each access point and your wireless clients should roam between them. Depending on which Linksys router you have, you might be able to add a basic access point to it and use it in repeater mode. I do this at home with my Linksys WRT54GS and WAP54G and it works well. When using the access point in repeater mode you also eliminate the need to network cabling to it.

You already have the cable run from the sounds of it. This is a much preferable method, connecting the AP to the existing wired infrastructure, vs. using it to repeat. Repeating is a "last resort" solution and should be avoided if possible.

Back