Wireless Networking Help

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi guys,

I recently installed a very basic version of XP on my old laptop (Gateway MT3707).

After hours of searching for the correct drivers, I found them, and installed them. After installing the correct drivers for wireless internet I was able to pull up the list and find my network on it.

When double clicking on our wireless network it asks for a network key (also called WEP key or WPA key).

Now we have a password for our network, but after an exhausting amount of tries that won't work. I not sure if that is what its looking for. In our apartment we run mac OSX, windows vista, etc., but usually the password for the network is satisfactory. I have never ran into this problem.

I hate to be a noob, but I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Which version of XP do you mean? Home?

What type of card do you have in your laptop? Wireless B does not support WPA. So therefore I'll also ask what type of security you're using on your network and if it's B, G or N.

What type of card do you have in your laptop? Wireless B does not support WPA. So therefore I'll also ask what type of security you're using on your network and if it's B, G or N.

also to add that WPA2 wasn't supported until SP2 with the Windows native wireless connection manager, iirc.

-It's a stripped down version of XP Home.

-The wireless card is a Realtek RTL8185 54M

-According to the back of the wireless router, we are using G

Thanks for the help.

what wireless security are you using? WEP, WPA, WPA2?
XP Home fully updated with service packs?
using the Windows native wireless app or Realtek wireless application to connect to wireless?

-It's a stripped down version of XP Home.

-The wireless card is a Realtek RTL8185 54M

-According to the back of the wireless router, we are using G

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately your answers are not detailed enough. "Stripped down version of XP Home" doesn't tell us anything...

Do you know what type of security/encryption you have? What Router? Help us, help you.

Back