wireless network setup questions

juztyn

Gawd
Im setting up a network for my friend this weekend... He has a living room computer with dsl, and a study room computer that also has a xbox and ps2 in it. He wants to still be able to play those without having the study computer on. He has a Dlink 802.11b router in the living room and i bought a belkin 54g a while back but i could never get them to communicate. Whats a good cheap setup for this (if theres a access point that def work with dlink that would be great, but i can buy new, dont have to have 54g though). Would a xbox ethernet bridge connected to a 4 port hub work? Thanks for help...

if you want them all online, you need a router with internet connectivity, and the machines need to connect to that somehow. Either the router needs to be wireless, or the router needs to be wired to an acccess point, or everything needs to be wired to the router.

There are more ways to do this, but one of these options would present the simplest.

Xbox wireless bridge or some other wireless bridge will work, same for the playstation and the computer. The computer has more flexibility as you can get a pci or usb wireless adapter for it.

The more complex (potentially) option is to have the router in one woom connect wirelessly to a router/access point in the other room with the machines wired to it, and have the 2 wireless devices "bridge" together. In my experience most routers do this fine, but looking for the "wireless bridging" as a feature in the routers will go a long way to avoid the chance that it doesn't work out like that.

The question is: why didn't the dlink and belkin work together if they were both 802.11g? that is a standard and as such they should work together fine. Either one or both of the devices are faulty, or they were misconfigured (the more likely case).

i used a belkin router, i thought bridging with other brands was iffy at best...

Back