Wireless network setup issues with WDS

reaper12

2[H]4U
Hi Everyone,

I am having some problems setting up a wireless network for client a local school. I have been a few evenings at it, but, am getting no where.

Ok, I purchased 4 draytek ap-700 access points to extend their network to some outbuildings. I have one of the four setup in the main building connected directly to the wired Lan. Now if I use a laptop anywhere in the range of that access point I get connected and I can surf the internet etc. So all good.

the trouble starts if I turn on another access point the laptop still has signal but loses connection to the internet. I was ages trying things before I realised that the router had gone down. The router is supplied and controlled by a government body in a scheme that brings broadband to schools, so I have no access to that box, all I can do is restart it. When I restart it with the one access point connected, everything works fine.

It's the same if I attach any of the four access points, I can get internet access as long as the only access point that is powered on is the one connected directly to the wired lan.

My plan was to setup a WDS network using the 4 access points. These is what I ahve done.

1. The 4 APs are setup with the same SSID, channel and also setup to WDS mode.
2. The mac address of each of the APs is setup in the other AP's.
3. Have configured the IP's and subnet mask to the same range as the school on each of the APs.
4. Have set the mode to G only. I wanted to use G+N modes, but, wouldn't work. The laptop could connect to the AP, but, could not get access to the internet.

It's not rocket science, I think I everything above should work, but, it doesn't. If anyone can spot anything obviously wrong please point it out.

Is it possible that the router just isnt good enough and keeps crashing when I connect more than one AP? Is the router the whole problem?

In another part of the building I have two other access points, setup as access points only and they work fine, have never given any trouble. Is the WDS mode of the new APs conflicting with the router? It's strange because sometimes I can power on all 4 APs before the router crashes other times I can only turn two (the one that is wired in and one other)

Anyway, thanks for an help that you can offer, because this has me going loopy!!

Just to add there is no other wireless networks in miles of the school.

And judging by the lack of replies I would say I have everything setup correctly. I was hoping that maybe somebody had this happen to them before and would have a solution :)

Ever thought of not using WDS mode? Just configure the APs with the same SSID and security settings and give them each a different IP. Also, you don't want them to be on the same channels. Use 1, 6, and 11 and make sure you don't have two APs right next to each other using the same channel.

Can't tell you anything about the router if you don't have access to it. It's like trying to guess how the world started. . .

Thanks for the reply, but there is no wired network in the other buildings. So only one AP can connect to the wired network. I am using wireless to bring the network out to these buildings. Unless I am missing something, what you say isn't possible. Or can you please explain how setting up as AP's only will work?

And for WDS mode they have to be on the same channel. Different SSID's will work, but, they have to be on the same channel.

Back