Wireless Network questions

xphantg0d

Gawd
I have a linksys router and was wondering how to set up mac filtering?

Also what do the following settings mean?

Multicast Pass Through:
IPSec Pass Through:
PPTP Pass Through:
MTU:

All have a choice to enable or disable

MAC filtering...the router will only allow computers whos MACs you entered to gain access to the WAN and management. You have to note the MAC of each computer you wish to allow, and enter that. MAC is similar to a vehicle identification number, except it's related to network components, such as network cards....each has a unique one. You can find that through several different ways, such as IPCONFIG /ALL, or the properties of your network connection through the GUI, by looking on the NIC itself, etc. It's a 12 digit alpha-numberic.

Multicast Pass Through, I've yet to see how this feature works, or need it, but it's supposed to allow concurrent transmissions of the same data to specified recipients.

IPSec and PPTP passthrough allow the passthrough of VPN authentication traffic...since it's not a NAT compatible type of traffic...it basically builds a special tunnel to allow that traffic to pass through the NAT firewall. You only need to enable it if for example...you're connecting to your office from home, utilizing some sort of VPN client.

MTU...that's Maximum Transmission Units...the size of the chunks of data. If you're on PPPoE DSL, you'll want that set to (depending upon your firmware version), "auto", or manually specified 1492. PPPoA and Bridged DSL, as well as cable and other ATM, you'll use 1500.

YeOldeStonecat said:
MAC filtering...the router will only allow computers whos MACs you entered to gain access to the WAN and management. You have to note the MAC of each computer you wish to allow, and enter that. MAC is similar to a vehicle identification number, except it's related to network components, such as network cards....each has a unique one. You can find that through several different ways, such as IPCONFIG /ALL, or the properties of your network connection through the GUI, by looking on the NIC itself, etc. It's a 12 digit alpha-numberic.

Multicast Pass Through, I've yet to see how this feature works, or need it, but it's supposed to allow concurrent transmissions of the same data to specified recipients.

IPSec and PPTP passthrough allow the passthrough of VPN authentication traffic...since it's not a NAT compatible type of traffic...it basically builds a special tunnel to allow that traffic to pass through the NAT firewall. You only need to enable it if for example...you're connecting to your office from home, utilizing some sort of VPN client.

MTU...that's Maximum Transmission Units...the size of the chunks of data. If you're on PPPoE DSL, you'll want that set to (depending upon your firmware version), "auto", or manually specified 1492. PPPoA and Bridged DSL, as well as cable and other ATM, you'll use 1500.
Thanx alot but how do i set up mac filtering on a linksys router?

Back