Wireless Modem Router

maverick786us

2[H]4U
Can someone suggest me a fast dual Wireless Modem router with some extra features like.

1) USB 3.0 port for connecting a USB storage and can be used for network and even cloud.
2) Should have good speed, connectivity and range. Example I should be able to stream full HD movies or 4K videos from the storage connected to it.
3) Can be used for Peer 2 Peer like Torrent so that I can continue downloading without switching on the PC.
4) Should be secure, and easy to setup.

At home, I use DSL lines for internet connectivity. I was always under the impression that a Router always have modem inbuilt, therefore ordered "Asus AC1900 RT AC68U Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router", which has excellent review.

I was pleased to place this order, but I was shocked when my friend asked me to find out, if its just a router or has modem in-built. I discovered that it doesn't have modem inbuilt. So Can someone suggest me a modem router which is as good "Asus AC1900 RT AC68U Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router" in terms of built quality, features etc?

My budget is somewhere around 150-175$ at worst can increase it to 200$ if its really worth.

Buy a separate dsl modem. Gateways, all in one router and modem, are nice but ive always found that i keep a good router longer than a modem. And that asus is a good router.

Oh btw most if not all routers with usb 3.0 will have interference issues with the 5ghz side when using usb 3.0 drive.

Buy a separate dsl modem. Gateways, all in one router and modem, are nice but ive always found that i keep a good router longer than a modem. And that asus is a good router.

Oh btw most if not all routers with usb 3.0 will have interference issues with the 5ghz side when using usb 3.0 drive.

Can you suggest me a good modem, that canfigures well with this router?

2nd vote for just using your current ISP supplied modem. Just put the modem in bridge mode and let your new router handle the PPPOE login or whatever other magic your ISP uses. Also has the advantage of if you switch ISPs sometime in the future, all you need to change is one dumb ISP modem for another. Your network setup remains the same.

What is wrong with your current DSL modem?

Its Antennas broke, while clearning the router fell and the antennas cannot stand on its own. Although I am able to access internet, but its inconsistance and takes more than half an hour to initialize if when rebooted

Last edited:
Only if you have att uverse. If you have old school att dsl a third party modem is still an option. Though att has been pushing out the later.

Op do you have Uverse? If so yea you need to get a new gateway from att. From there a seperate router is optional.

Thanks for the help kydsid. How can I find out this?

Last edited:
It is uverse, thanks. I am just wondering, what all facilities I can enjoy with this router. I can ask AT&T to replace the half broken, router which has a modem inside with a new Modem,

There is a possibility that AT&T might not provide me just a modem and might rather provide a modem & router hybrid. What should I do in that case? Their routers will be just the basic ones.

It is uverse, thanks. I am just wondering, what all facilities I can enjoy with this router. I can ask AT&T to replace the half broken, router which has a modem inside with a new Modem,

There is a possibility that AT&T might not provide me just a modem and might rather provide a modem & router hybrid. What should I do in that case? Their routers will be just the basic ones.

They do not provide modems for their internet service, only gateways. I got around this by enabling DMZ-Plus mode. If you don't want to use the wireless function, you can get away by just using a router (the latest Uverse gateways are better - but nowhere near as good as my Netgear R700 AC router).

The basic gist of setting this up is plug your routers Internet/WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the UVerse gateway, and make sure the Internet/WAN configuration is set to DHCP on your personal router (that will be the default setting). Then, on the UVerse gateway, I believe in Advanced -> Firewall settings (you may have to search around), you will see a setting for DMZ-Plus mode, enable that and select your router from the list of clients that are attached to it. That's about it.

Be aware, the LAN/Internal IP subnet of your personal router has to be different than the UVerse gateways.

e.g. I believe the Uverse gateway IP is 192.168.1.254. If that is the case, the internal network for the personal router should be 192.168.2.x, or 192.168.10.x etc. Basically, you want that 3rd number to be something other than 1.

More details can be provided, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my google talk address.

They do not provide modems for their internet service, only gateways. I got around this by enabling DMZ-Plus mode. If you don't want to use the wireless function, you can get away by just using a router (the latest Uverse gateways are better - but nowhere near as good as my Netgear R700 AC router).

The basic gist of setting this up is plug your routers Internet/WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the UVerse gateway, and make sure the Internet/WAN configuration is set to DHCP on your personal router (that will be the default setting). Then, on the UVerse gateway, I believe in Advanced -> Firewall settings (you may have to search around), you will see a setting for DMZ-Plus mode, enable that and select your router from the list of clients that are attached to it. That's about it.

Be aware, the LAN/Internal IP subnet of your personal router has to be different than the UVerse gateways.

e.g. I believe the Uverse gateway IP is 192.168.1.254. If that is the case, the internal network for the personal router should be 192.168.2.x, or 192.168.10.x etc. Basically, you want that 3rd number to be something other than 1.

More details can be provided, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my google talk address.

Thank you Charold, I would definately love to shoot you once my router arrives. lol

Last edited:
Back