Wireless keyboard/mouse long distance?

I'm building an htpc right now, was wondering whats a good wireless/keyboard setup that will work from about 12 feet away.

I know my mx700 won't go that far. Does the cheaper logitech have a larger range? Would like something that looks more classy but I don't know of anything.

Sounds like you need to check the bluetooth boards, personally I'm thinking of getting the one by Apple- I like the look and it fits in with everything else. MS and Logitech both have bluetooth boards.

I have a Logitech Optical Freedom set. The keyboard works from far away (hell, it works through walls). The mouse however, does not. I'd give it about 6ft. From what I've seen, that's how other Logitech wireless gear behaves (NOT referring to the Bluetooth models though, I have no idea how they perform).

I bought the liteon set its supposed to work from 10ft out so that should be good enough. Saw good reviews at newegg. Anybody had any experience with this one?

My logitech MX combo works from 12 ft away, I can play UT2k4 on my HDTV while I sit on the couch.

Well if your just looking for general usage I have had the gyration RF combos work from as far 30 ft. However the combo is expensive and the response is not good enough for gaming.

Heres a better idea,
Get a USB hub (if it's USB) and plug in the reciever to it and get a long USB cable and set the reciever as far away as you can from other devices that cause interference.

Aye, things like a wirless LAN and cordless phones can cause disruptions with other RF products. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have plenty of range, I should try and max it out and see how far I can take that MX combo, just for shits and giggles.

It also depends on the quality of the receiver you have, they are not all created equal. Battery levels in the devices matter too.

I though a long USB extension cord (a male to a female) would be your best bet, easy to hide too.

butterfliesrpretty said:
I bought the liteon set its supposed to work from 10ft out so that should be good enough. Saw good reviews at newegg. Anybody had any experience with this one?

My keyboard range with that model is about 5ft and the mouse range is 3 ft.

I have a LiteOn Airboard with intergrated mouse pointer. It's IR, but can do about 20 ft and is great unless you want to play a games involving a mouse. The mouse pointer takes a while to get used to. It's also $29, which is pretty reasonable, especially for the size.

sp00 said:
I have a LiteOn Airboard with intergrated mouse pointer. It's IR, but can do about 20 ft and is great unless you want to play a games involving a mouse. The mouse pointer takes a while to get used to. It's also $29, which is pretty reasonable, especially for the size.

Oooo, that is just what I've been looking for, I only wish it were RF instead :)

I have the MX Bluetooth Duo and have no problems with range. I made the decision to go Bluetooth, for the simple fact that the Logitech website says that the standard MX Duo only has an official range of about 6 feet. My living room is 16 deep so bluetooth was the only option.

Zuht said:
Oooo, that is just what I've been looking for, I only wish it were RF instead :)
Yeah I really wanted RF as well, but I after reading the airboard reviews, I found you can point it almost any direction and the signal will bounce. You just have to have a semi-decent reciever placement. My receiver hidden pretty well and the only way to stop the signal is to put something directly in front of the keyboard.

I guess I can truly respond with a little more indepth knowledge now as I have both the Lite-on Airboard from Digital Connections and also the Gyration UltraGT combo. I bought the airboard so I could use its IR capabilities to teach my MX-500 codes for my htpc so it would be easier to control for my fiancee and kid. The airboard is deffinately a viable option for control of a htpc but I would not recommend it for an everyday input device. When I am actually doing windows/pc stuff on the htpc I pick up the gyration, otherwise I use the remote and airboard reciever.

Hope this helps someone else and Digital Connections is a great place to work with, fast and good shipping.

Back