Wireless Internet Tweakable?

playajcc

[H]ard|Gawd
I just setup 2 computers on wireless internet and they are both VERY slow... is there a program that you guys would sugggest is the best to speed up this internet? I am on cable and my wireless router is inside the room within 5 feet from both computers! Thanks again!!

Just FYI, this belongs in the Network and Security forum. The electronics forum is more for circuits and wiring things.

The gains that you could realize from a software program, if such a thing existed, would be minimal at best. It would probably work by cacheing data, predictive prerequesting of data during periods of low network usage, or data compression. These can help, but your problem lies elsewhere.

To increase speed, I'd fiddle around with the placing of the antennas and your router, if they're of the adjustable sort (which is one reason USB wireless adapters are good). You might also look into larger external antennas and "cantennas" (homemade antennas) to improve your signal strength.

There could be some form of interference, I think microwaves and some cordless phones can cause interference.

Make sure the problem isn't something else, such as spyware bogging down your computer, or congested internet. Since your modem and router are in the same room you should be able to compare with a direct wired connection, unless your computers are old enough not to have a network jack.

Also, what kind of wireless network is it? I'd assume either 802.11b or g. If it's b, then you'll get a max of about 11Mb/s, which is pretty slow for an internal network, but faster than your internet probably is.

if its b, and you have security enabled, then it will not be that fast. you could change the wireless to short preamble in the router, i doubt there are other networks around it could conflict with unless your in the city

Ok, I think you're being a little too vague here. First and foremost, are you using 802.11b or g hardware. Remember...BOTH router and NIC must be g in order to receive g speeds. Secondly, what speed is the adapter connecting at and what quality is the signal connection? Windows XP SP2 has a great wireless config utility for telling you these. If you are using g hardware, AND you get POOR signal quality...either there is inteference in the room, or everything is TOO close. I read somewhere that having a wireless adapter too close to the router can result in very poor transfer speeds. This is due to the signal being too powerful at close ranges, and the Signal-to-Noise ratio being very low. Try moving one computer to the next room and see if the quality improves. If you still have issues, please post the make and model numbers of all the hardware you are using.

Back