Wireless inconsistent pings

travbrad

[H]ard|Gawd
So I started having problems the last few weeks having a very inconsistent ping to my router over wireless (ranging from 1ms to 400ms, and even some dropped packets). This was happening from 3 different wireless cards/devices at any area of the house, including when the router was literally 6 inches away from my laptop.

So I ordered a new router assuming that was the culprit (I actually had this problem in the past with an old router and buying a new router fixed it that time). Apparently that wasn't the problem this time though, as my pings are still wildly fluctuating even with the new router.

Both routers are WRT54GL (with Tomato firmware, although it's happening with linksys firmware too), and my pings are <1ms when using a wired connection. I have also tried different channels which didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. Here's a screenshot if that would help at all.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

I always see this when there is interference on the channel. Change the channel and try again

What that graph doesn't show is your signal to noise ratio. You may have something in the house that is causing interference across the entire wireless spectrum.

Having a high SNR would explain having excellent signal but crappy performance.

What that graph doesn't show is your signal to noise ratio. You may have something in the house that is causing interference across the entire wireless spectrum.

Having a high SNR would explain having excellent signal but crappy performance.

What he said, you need to do some spectrum analysis to determine the source of interference

Have you tried 5Ghz? Lots of things use the 2.4 Ghz range (bluetooth, cordless phones etc)

Try to switch to wired if you can, if not try what they've been saying above, and you might want to switch from WEP to WPA/WPA2. I'm assuming your router is the "plumrouter" and from what I can see your ping never went above 200, which isn't really that bad.

Back