Wireless Hack Lets Crooks Clone Volkswagen Keys

HardOCP News

[H] News
More bad news for Volkswagen owners. Researchers from the University of Birmingham have reverse engineered the keyless entry system of many Volkswagen cars. Up to one hundred million cars made between 2000 and 2016 could be affected. :eek:

If you own a Volkswagen with keyless entry, it's likely to be vulnerable to a remote-cloning attack, according to new research. After reverse-engineering the keyless entry systems of multiple VW models from the early 2000s to 2016, a team of researchers believe that the vast majority of the 100 million vehicles from VW Group sold in that time are vulnerable to a key-cloning attack that leaves the ignition and keyless entry system exposed to tampering.

uh.................

this is just bandwagon hopping. This vulnerability has been proven to be on like every remote already right now by doing the same thing and interception the RF signals.

uh.................

this is just bandwagon hopping. This vulnerability has been proven to be on like every remote already right now by doing the same thing and interception the RF signals.

It's a bandwagon that needs to be hopped on, until the auto manufacturers stop putting devices in cars that make them less secure. Also, VW deserves every bit of bad press they get and oh so much more:

Even MORE Emissions-Cheating Software Reportedly Found in VW Diesels

uh.................

This isn't a man in the middle thing, they have managed to compromise the root keys for the rolling codes and made standalone keys. What other vehicles have had that compromised? I'm nto saying they haven't I just haven't run across anything that wasn't live man in the middle attacks.

My VW died a horrible death, cooling system made of plastic that simply crumbled like crackers. Can't steal it if it doesn't move, muhaha.

with all these types of stores i have realized one thing, the privacy videos were wrong, people will download a car... Well at least the keys or method to steal said car.

nice thing about the Subaru's that I have is the remote only works within a few feed of the car....

It's a bandwagon that needs to be hopped on, until the auto manufacturers stop putting devices in cars that make them less secure. Also, VW deserves every bit of bad press they get and oh so much more:

Even MORE Emissions-Cheating Software Reportedly Found in VW Diesels

I'm sorry. Get over it, the emissions "scandal" is just a PR blitzkrieg attack on vw. The emissions standards and stupid shit like CARB, etc. need to fucking die. All they do is raise the cost to produce vehicles, which in turn raises the price of them, which in turn makes it more difficult for people to afford them, which in turn reduces the number on the road, which along with more fuel efficiency, lowers the amount of gas purchased, which reduces the amount of money going into road funds, etc.
The fix for this is to lower the cost of gasoline, lower the fuel efficiency standards, lower the regulatory requirements, thereby lowering the cost of vehicle ownership. More folks would by more vehicles, drive them more, buy more gas and thus naturally increase the amount of money going into road funds.
See, once again lowering taxes is actually better for the economy.

I'm sorry. Get over it, the emissions "scandal" is just a PR blitzkrieg attack on vw. The emissions standards and stupid shit like CARB, etc. need to fucking die. All they do is raise the cost to produce vehicles, which in turn raises the price of them, which in turn makes it more difficult for people to afford them, which in turn reduces the number on the road, which along with more fuel efficiency, lowers the amount of gas purchased, which reduces the amount of money going into road funds, etc.
The fix for this is to lower the cost of gasoline, lower the fuel efficiency standards, lower the regulatory requirements, thereby lowering the cost of vehicle ownership. More folks would by more vehicles, drive them more, buy more gas and thus naturally increase the amount of money going into road funds.
I don't know where you live, but I feel that there are plenty of cars on the road as it is.

Last edited:
My sister had a diesel VW wagon and VW gave them $16,000 to buy the car back.

I don't know where you live, but I feel that there are plenty of cars on the road as it is.
There are a lot of cars on the road, but the only way we are going to get bigger, better roads is to put more money into the road fund. More cars driving more is the fastest way to increase the amount going in. The best way to do that is get more cars on the road and in order to do that, they have to be cheaper. As the number of cars increases on the road, the need to be less fuel efficient so that they need to be filled up more often, thus increasing the amount of gas tax paid, which increases the dollar amount going into the fund. Larger fund, bigger, better roads.

...says the VW fanboy. Get over it? No. You might not like the rules, and sure the other manufacturers are probably doing the same thing, but VW was caught cheating on a test. Cheating. Sorry if that makes your favorite brand an even bigger joke, but we have to hold large corporations accountable for at least something. It's unbelievable to me that anyone would defend VW. Un-freaking-believable.

There are a lot of cars on the road, but the only way we are going to get bigger, better roads is to put more money into the road fund. More cars driving more is the fastest way to increase the amount going in. The best way to do that is get more cars on the road and in order to do that, they have to be cheaper. As the number of cars increases on the road, the need to be less fuel efficient so that they need to be filled up more often, thus increasing the amount of gas tax paid, which increases the dollar amount going into the fund. Larger fund, bigger, better roads.

I guess some people (libertarians) might see things that way, but your fantasy doesn't work in the real world. More cars on the road means more traffic, which means more accidents, more wear on the road surface. More traffic and more accidents leads to more services needed (police, hospitals, hey our health system is cheap and working great, right?). More road wear means more wear on the vehicles, increasing vehicle cost. More fuel used leads to higher emissions, more fuel required means more shady deals with countries that want us dead (Saudis). I could go on forever, where do you get your ideas?

you are wrong on sooooo many levels. Funny how you think the government actually spends money on the correct things. Think you where dropped on your head a few too many times as a child.

...says the VW fanboy. Get over it? No. You might not like the rules, and sure the other manufacturers are probably doing the same thing, but VW was caught cheating on a test. Cheating. Sorry if that makes your favorite brand an even bigger joke, but we have to hold large corporations accountable for at least something. It's unbelievable to me that anyone would defend VW. Un-freaking-believable.
Actually I am not that much of a vw fan. I prefer Subaru's and Toyotas to vw.
The simple fact is the regulations are stupid. They alone have driven up the cost of vehicle ownership by 50 to 75% in the last 15 to 20 years, well and all the stupid new tech on cars now.

Actually I am not that much of a vw fan. I prefer Subaru's and Toyotas to vw.
The simple fact is the regulations are stupid. They alone have driven up the cost of vehicle ownership by 50 to 75% in the last 15 to 20 years, well and all the stupid new tech on cars now.
that's because you all cannot drive :p besides breathing cleaner air is a good thing...

nice thing about the Subaru's that I have is the remote only works within a few feed of the car....

That's possibly because triangulation ... so it ignores the remote in your pocket from the house, etc. So the signal still goes much further than you realize.

Back