Wireless & Gigabit Switch

capreppy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2009
I'm not exactly sure what it is called, thus my dilema.

I have a wireless router on one side of the house. Moving it is not an option.

I will be setting up 5 computers in one room that I would like to connect to each other via a Gigabit switch. These 5 computers also need access to the internet

Is there a switch that can
- connect to the wireless router (don't know if it needs an ip address or not)
- have the 5 computers attached to it
- all 5 would have their own IP address that the wireless router will divy out

I think an easy solution would be to have all 5 connected via the Switch and have them "share" the internet connection off of one of the computers that will have a wireless card. Is this even possible?

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be much appreaciated.

It sounds like you already have it ready to go.

Any gigabit switch can be used. Just use one port as an uplink to your wireless router. This is essentially extending your layer 2 network to those 5 computers. Look for an 8-port one, in case of expandability and for the 5 port ones you have to use one as uplink.

What youre looking for is a wireless bridge that you can then connect to the switch with the 5 computers.

The computers will go to the switch, the switch will go to the wireless bridge, and the wireless bridge will connect to the wireless network you have setup

The bridge is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I've already found the one I want and I'll place the order in the morning.

Thanks!!

my setup is essentially the same, except it is 2 desktops + laptop on a gigabit switch, which is attached to a bridge.

Back