wireless gaming ..more lag?

DizzySHK

Gawd
i have noticed my ping with unreal 2 xmp has gone up considerably with wireless adapter. is this normal with all of the B standard wireless? will G standard reduce the lag/ping? thanks for any advise.

I've played on a wireless B, really haven't noticed TOO much of a difference. What is the difference you get?

My buddy uses a wireless g at home when we lan. As long as he doesn't host the game, he gets no lag. Every time he tries to use his pc to host, we get major lag.

Wireless (b, g, a, etc) should only be adding a few ms tops in your setup. Are you running xp? If so turn off xp's zero configuration service.

Originally posted by Soybomb
Wireless (b, g, a, etc) should only be adding a few ms tops in your setup. Are you running xp? If so turn off xp's zero configuration service.

zero config service?

Originally posted by runningincircles
zero config service?
Yes, google will have more information on disabling it if you're interested. Typically problems from it are associated with usb adapters and a loss of connection for a few seconds, but its worth looking into.

I am using B and I don't have any problems whatsoever with lag. Even when I'm 3 walls from the router. My pings might be about 5 higher than being wired, but it is completely unnoticable.

I noticed my pings were considerably higher, but strangely the gameplay was identical for the most part.

You know I was also pondering this question. I'm hosting more and more LAN parties at my house and already have a wireless router. I guess some friends will just have to pick up a card and give it a shot to find out. Personally I think my main PC will always be hard wired.

Wireless is always going to have some sort of delay. Also the further away you are from the AP the more delay you might get. I know this might not be always the case in a short range situation, but it's the fact of radio communication. It's just going to happen.

A good test of this is to call yourself from a cell phone to a landline. Most of the delay you hear will be from the wireless part of the connection. That’s why satellite broadband/communication has so much delay. It's really funny watching the news and are talking to someone via satellite there is always that 3 to 4 sec delay.

Back