wireless from set top box to pc?

ccotenj

Gawd
is there a doodad (highly technical term there, be careful with it :p ) that i can use to transmit wirelessly from my set top cable box to my pc?

set top box is scientific atlanta explorer 3200hd... there is what appears to be a usb port on the front of it... i'm using the dvi port out of the back of it to connect to the tv (dvi to hdmi, fwiw)...

i'd like to figure out a way to do this, so i don't have to run cable to the other side of my living room to get to my pc...

suggestions and wise remarks welcome... :) thanks...

There are wireless transmitters for analog (composite usually) video signals, but I don't think there are any digital variants.

No, you cant wirelessly transmit dvi right now. I doubt in the near future for anything other than a lot of money either.

Couple things you could do, so you dont need an expensive long dvi/hdmi cable. Move the computer closer to the settop box ;) or move the settop box closer to the computer, coax for the settop should be a lot cheaper than hdmi.

maybe i wasn't clear... or maybe i'm asking the wrong question... i don't want to transmit it to my monitor... i want to transmit it to my video card (and let it feed my monitor)...

i know i can run coax, i had it coming in via coax when it was closer to the existing cable outlet... i just don't want to have to run it all the way around the room to get to the pc... but i'm getting the impression that's gonna be my option...

moving it closer isn't an option, unfortunately... gotta be a reasonable distance away from the tv, otherwise it's too big to watch... and it would be unwieldy to have the cable box anywhere except by the tv...

i can't move the pc for a couple reasons...

a) the tv is 52" and you gotta be a reasonable distance away from it, and i want to be able to use the pc at the same time as watching tv... connection to the pc isn't to watch "live" tv on, it's to use pc as pvr...

b) there's no room for it to really go anywhere but where it is... old house... small rooms... limited wall space... if i want it in the living room, it's really in the only place it can go (besides the fact that i can see the monitor real well from my recliner :) )...

i can always run the coax from the box to the pc, it's not the end of the world, i can "channel" it along the baseboard and ceiling (like with the speaker wires for the surrounds)... was hoping there was a way around it though...

Back