Wireless for my house.. I have some questions

freakycody

Gawd
Okay, i have probably simple questions about wireless. I am getting the 3M Charter Cable internet service, not the 384k service. What i want to know is what type of wireless do i need to not bottleneck the computers running wirelessly. Would wireless G be okay for this (or do i need the super G, or what not)?? I want to be able to surf and dl at the speed i am paying for. Just a little info about my setup. I will have one computer (XP pro) running downstairs by the cable modem that will not be wireless, and two computers upstairs that will be wireless. I am thinking about either d-link or belkin for my wireless needs, are these okay brands or should i get something else?? Also does the wireless routers also have at least one port where i can connect my downstairs pc to or do i need a router to do this?

i think that most any wireless roughter you buy today will run at no less than 11mbs. i dont know about that internet service, but i envy you if you can bottleneck 11mbs up and down.

edit: any wireless roughter will have a port where you can connect a lan/cat5 cable to it

personally i would stay away from d-link. ive had problems with them in the past. i just bought the linksys WRT54G wireless router. this thing works wonderfully. i transfered a 200MB file from one computer to next over the wireless and it took less than 40 seconds to transfer. i did testing for signal strength at certain areas in my home. i couldnt find a single spot on my lot(thats even taking the laptop out into the street) and the signal was still strong enough to play games on.

as stated, unless you have a very unusual and rare internet connection your not going to bottleneck even a .11b WLAN. With .11g gear so cheap there is no reason not to go .11g however. 54Mb signalling rate and real world in the 25Mb range. Even with a poor signal you should get in the 10Mb+ range. If you have an internet connection faster than that please do tell where and who with.

Is the 2.4 GHz frequecy safe to use? I've been asking this question to the fourth term guys taking wireless in EE, and some say it's ok, but others say to not use it.

One of the main points for not using it is that 2.4ghz is the frequency that a microwave uses.

What gives?

dont know about microwaves in that range, but most cordless phones run in the 2.4Ghz range & 900Mhz range...I dont run into any problems with my wireless and using my cordless phone....

I have the 3MB charter cable and I have a linksys router, the same one someone stated above wit the beta firmware and it works fine. You wont bottleneck.

Wild Weasel said:
Is the 2.4 GHz frequecy safe to use? I've been asking this question to the fourth term guys taking wireless in EE, and some say it's ok, but others say to not use it.

One of the main points for not using it is that 2.4ghz is the frequency that a microwave uses.

What gives?

Micowaves run in the 1500W range, give or take either way though they do run in the 2.4 Ghz range. 802.11 gear typically work in the 30-100mW (milliwatt) range. The comparison to kitchen microwaves are a non issue.

Are cell phones safe? Some debate there but they also operate in the spectrum albeit at a lower frequency.

Unless you wear two access points as earmuffs for a couple of years then your safe. Nothing to worry about.

I think 'safe' meant 'safe from interference by the microwave' if I'm not mistaken.

Okay, great thanks for the help. Looks like i will get the linksys 54g router then. One question, does it matter what brand of wireless card i get, as long as it is G it should work correct?? For example a belkin wireless card will work with a linksys router. Thanks.

as long as the card puts out the same signal then it should work. my friend's built-in wireless in his xps1 works very well with my router. i havent been able to test other wireless cards though. i dont think you should have any problems though.

you shouldnt have any problems using different brands....i have a d-link DI-524 router and on my laptop im using Zyzel wireless PCMCIA card

DirtyApe said:
personally i would stay away from d-link. ive had problems with them in the past. i just bought the linksys WRT54G wireless router. this thing works wonderfully. i transfered a 200MB file from one computer to next over the wireless and it took less than 40 seconds to transfer. i did testing for signal strength at certain areas in my home. i couldnt find a single spot on my lot(thats even taking the laptop out into the street) and the signal was still strong enough to play games on.
Honestly, I would recommend just the opposite. I've set up Linksys and Dlink Wireless networks and while my Linksys network has caused nothing but problems (unresponsive wireless, rapidly fluctuating signal strength, router lockups) the Dlink network is consistently more reliable.

siegecraft4 said:
Honestly, I would recommend just the opposite. I've set up Linksys and Dlink Wireless networks and while my Linksys network has caused nothing but problems (unresponsive wireless, rapidly fluctuating signal strength, router lockups) the Dlink network is consistently more reliable.

hhmmm. i guess my problem with d-link was that i had bought the router right when wireless in a home was a new thing...i guess leading edge isnt always a positive thing eh. what he can do is buy a router from best buy and if he isnt satisfied within the 14 days then he can take it back for a full refund(if he pays with cash or plastic).

Thanks for the help. Think i will still stick with linksys for the wireless router, since a lot of people have had success with them. I might grab the belkin wirless G pci card for my PC since it is only 9 bucks at one of the local chain stores, it should work fine.

i think this question is similiar so rather than start a new thread, I've tried Linksys WRT54G and i hated it, now does anyone have any thoughts on the Netgear or D-Link XtremeG routers? Their on sale at BB and i might want to pick one up, even though the Belkin G router is 10 bucks at CC, i've heard bad things about them. thanks

ktwebb said:
If you have an internet connection faster than that please do tell where and who with.
It may be worth mentioning: I spec'd out a 10mbit connection from my local companies: Comcast could do it ( fiber to premise )...for 2g a month.

I nearly fainted when my sales rep told me.

We now return you to the thread already in progress. Had this been an actual post, it might have been relevant.

I have a D-link DI-524 and its been working great for me. I have had no problems with it at all...others thou say that they have had problems with D-link

the only problems ive had with dlink is trying to get my games to access the net. i called tech support and they walked me through opening ports and the router still wouldnt allow access the net for any of the games. i ended up ditching the dlink and getting an 8 port netgear and now im loving my WRT54G.

I've used Linksys, DLink and Netgear, got a DOA transmitter in a Netgear, they were more than happy to swap it out once I got past the ignorant level 1 tech support.

They all work fine, but I seem to have more consistant signal at the edge of the coverage range with Linksys.

Back