Wireless Ethernet Card?

junglicious

Limp Gawd
I have a Dlink Dir-655 Wireless Router. The two recommend cards are the DWA-552 and DWA-556. I wanted to know if I should go with any of these or another brand. Basically I want to know what would be a good wireless card to get for the Dir-655 router.

Also how do USB wireless card compare, is there a big performance difference?

Thanks

Yup..know about them, work with them often. You don't state if you have a desktop or a tower or a laptop, and if you have a desktop...do you have full height slots or half height? What bus is available? Old PCI? PCI-e?

Getting same brand can allow you to use certain proprietary performance modes that your brand "might" have on the router, like some "turbo" mode or something like that. Otherwise, as long as you get products that are "wifi-alliance certified" (you'll see the logo)..they should be compatible just fine.
http://www.wi-fi.org/certified_products.php

USB wireless adapters? They're fine. Yeah back in the Windows 98 days USB was buggy. And it was more CPU intensive. But since 2K and XP came out...it's been fine, it's gotten faster, and with multi-core processors, it's fine. really no longer a performance difference. If you have a desktop/tower that's on the floor, some USB external models will have a long cable that allows you to locate the antenna up high for better signal. Yes there are a couple of internal PCI based wireless NICs that have that feature too.

I just tried the Belkin N300 USB adapter. If I was playing WoW, and started ANY program that even thought about touching the internet, WoW would either A) slow down a lot b) lag out for a few seconds c) disconnect entirely. And WoW internet traffic is not that heavy, last time I watched it the max it gets is 100kb/s. Needless to say, I returned that adapter.

Subbed! I have the same question as well and I have the dir-655 too. I have heard many great things about the DWA-556. Might have to give it a try. I am currently using the rosewill rnx-n180ube, it works ok but I am not that happy with it.

I just tried the Belkin N300 USB adapter. If I was playing WoW, and started ANY program that even thought about touching the internet, WoW would either A) slow down a lot b) lag out for a few seconds c) disconnect entirely. And WoW internet traffic is not that heavy, last time I watched it the max it gets is 100kb/s. Needless to say, I returned that adapter.

USB wifi cards are garbage, they not get enough power to run and power the radio inside them.

USB port I believe is only 500ma's

I already order 4 DWA-556 cards from amazon with prime and will try to post feedback once I get them installed. Its going in a mini tower (CM 360) running win7 x64, i3 core, and 4gb of ram.

USB wifi cards are garbage, they not get enough power to run and power the radio inside them.

USB port I believe is only 500ma's

I am fully aware of the complications of using USB.
But when locally, it is the only thing available, it was worth a shot. Sometimes I am too impatient for the webs to deliver.

Installed them in the systems and it was very easy. Win7 x64 did all the driver install and it connected fine with the dir-655 router. I read some reviews where Win7 x64 were having problems, I did not experience any. Windows Update also had updated drivers for it too. All 4 workstations and 1 server were in the same room so I don't know how good range is but where the workstations is going (15ft+/-) I don't think it will be a problem. Ran speedtest.net on all four workstations at the same time and they average around 6Mbps. Ran each workstation separately the average was 18Mbps. If anything comes up I'll let you guys know but I think these will work great.

Back