wireless charging for Samsung S5?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Having to monkey with the flap to get to the S5 charging port is annoying as hell, though I suppose the S5 doesn't have to be charged that often. Over the last couple of days mine is at >85% at the end of the day with little use.

Still, I am thinking to grab a wireless charger off of ebay, see http://www.ebay.com/itm/QI-Wireless...amsung-Galaxy-S5-I9600-Receiver-/371053000222

$22 bucks, shipped from the US vs $18 bucks shipped from China.

Does anyone have any experience with wireless charging the S5? Doesn't seem like there's enough room under the cover for the charging backplate thing. Is it better to just bite the bullet and buy the 5x more expensive genuine Samsung charging kit?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do not get that. Just wait for the first party product for reliably reasons. Samsung warranties and stuff. http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EP-CG900IBUSTA

That said, I've used a qi charging micro usb attachment that is so thin it can be place on the back of the HTC One in any phone case. It does what it's supposed to do. I don't know any negatives about it. But I didn't have an official choice.

So after a little more research I found out that the 3rd party pads sorta-kinda fit into the original S5 cover, but it does deform the cover and does at times separate the cover from the body of the phone in places. Verdict; stay away from 3rd party covers.

Onto the original Samsung charging cover, see a review here: http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/...rging-cover-review-with-samsung-charging-pad/

It equally blows in that once you put that cover on the phone doesn't fit into any case anymore. I hate cases anyway so it's not an issue for me, but the wife is not amused.

I mean WTF, flimsy charge port cover that's an annoyance to open and will inevitably tear off just to have IP67 for a few weeks till that cover wears out. Seriously Samsung, WTAF!?

Sucks either way.

Also, on moderate use (including quite a bit of wifi) throughout the day I ran the S5 battery down to about 55%. I don't think I could go two full days without charging, which means dealing with the damn flap every day of my life. I will probably just tear it off and be done with it.

Okay, so I just got the wireless charging cover over the weekend. Doesn't fit Spigen Ultra Fit, but can squeeze into Spigen Neo Hybrid with a slight bulge, and the side buttons no longer work. Arghhhh. The charge port cover is annoying as hell so I was looking forward to wireless charging, but the official cover will not work for me unless someone starts making cases for it.

You will hate me for this suggestion:

Get an LG G2

Except for the big huge problem in the room: only the Verizon edition has wireless charging.
Similarly the Sprint and International editions are the only ones that have working FM radios. (they all have the chip, some just aren't hooked up. kind of stupid)

A guy at my work has the S5 with the inductive charging back. The only issue now is that the phone does not fit in the case her purchased.

I just bought my dad an urban armor case, and thinking it would be a closer design to my M8 I thought it might fit or could be made to fit so we just tested it out. It only kinda fit with a slight bulge but the buttons still worked. It looked it appeared a bit too bulged for me but I like my cases to fit like a glove. So now I'm not sure what to do as I think my dad may want the inductive charging since the charging port is such a pain to access, but he also wants a case, should I return the urban armor case?

A guy at my work has the S5 with the inductive charging back. The only issue now is that the phone does not fit in the case her purchased.

I just bought my dad an urban armor case, and thinking it would be a closer design to my M8 I thought it might fit or could be made to fit so we just tested it out. It only kinda fit with a slight bulge but the buttons still worked. It looked it appeared a bit too bulged for me but I like my cases to fit like a glove. So now I'm not sure what to do as I think my dad may want the inductive charging since the charging port is such a pain to access, but he also wants a case, should I return the urban armor case?

Well, it's my experience that cases, even thin ones can interfere with wireless charging.

Have a Nexus 7 (2013) had a case I liked on it then I bought the official puck. No dice on charging until I took the case off.

Well, it's my experience that cases, even thin ones can interfere with wireless charging.

Have a Nexus 7 (2013) had a case I liked on it then I bought the official puck. No dice on charging until I took the case off.

Wow one more reason to not use wifi charging then. For me that was one of the reasons I was initially interested in the S5...

Wow one more reason to not use wifi charging then. For me that was one of the reasons I was initially interested in the S5...

"wireless charging" not "wifi charging" two very different meanings there.

As long as you're somewhat careful you don't really need a case for your phone. I don't have one on my (sprint) G2 and it's still fine.

I quite like the wireless charging on the Nexus 7, much more convenient to just plop it on the puck vs. grabbing a cable and plugging it in.

I've said before many times. There is absolutely no evidence that suggests a case actually protects a phone other than cosmetic damage. There are enough phones in Otter cases or other heavy cases that results in broken screens that would suggest that phone case makers sell these things preying upon your fears.

"wireless charging" not "wifi charging" two very different meanings there.

As long as you're somewhat careful you don't really need a case for your phone. I don't have one on my (sprint) G2 and it's still fine.

I quite like the wireless charging on the Nexus 7, much more convenient to just plop it on the puck vs. grabbing a cable and plugging it in.

My cases have saved my phones a multitude of times. Proof? I have no proof but cases really do help especially the well designed ones like the UAG. Will it stop me from breaking my phone if I drop it on the screen? Probably not (although the rubber boarder might absorb the impact if nothing makes direct contact with the screen). Will it prevent the phone from damage when landing on a corner when tumbling off a table or out of the car, well yes I believe it will.

Will it protect me from tossing it in my pocket with something else abrasive in there such as coins, keys, or a million other things? It certainly will! Does it provide better traction and make the buttons easier to use? Yes it does. The UAG case elevates the M8 inside so the case is going to take the impact in most situations, and distribute any impact over a much wider area for the corners and sides which itself should help significantly.

I've dropped my HTC One M8 a number of times. One time when I left it on top of my car (Chevy Volt). It fell off around 20-25 mph... there was a huge thud like I hit something with my car. A witness (a plumber) watched it skip across on asphalt and spinning, and finally landed in a puddle of water.

Aside from cosmetic damage on the back and the bottom edge of the phone, my screen survived with no damage or scratches (unfortunately as then I would qualify for HTC Advantage replacements). Likely the scratch on the camera lens is off to the side. Guess what? There was no case or skin. Looks like my phone landed on the bottom edge and then started skipping and spinning.

And I've just recently dropped the same phone from 5 feet to a concrete stairway where my phone kept going down several steps without a case. Each step is like another 10" perhaps? Everything still works. The front glass still survived (unfortunately). I just can't get the HTC Advantage evidently. The bottom speaker grill seems to have protruded out more, top two corners are dented, and the bottom edge have several more dents.

So how do you know your case saved your phone? Could your phone just happen to have landed in a way where a phone skin/body armor would have done just as well to protect your phone? I know enough folk with iPhones (due to its popularity) with Otter cases who have broken phones. Heck, even the digitizers are broken sometimes. One guy dropped his phone from his lap as he got out of the car...

All this just proves to me that the only phone cases I'll buy are the cases that adds functionality, whether that's battery life, quick energy saver display, etc.

sorry off topic but the suggestion to get an LG S2 is just hilarious. OK ur gonna hate me too, but get a LG S3. I read all the reviews, it looks superb.

Back