Wireless card keeps resetting. Event 10400

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
Running Win Ent. 10 version 2004 (previously 1909)

Ok about 10 days ago I had an explorer crash and this is when I started having problems. The wifi light on my keyboard would change to orange (normally white) to indirect that wireless was off. However when I would click on the wireless icon in the system tray wifi would show it was still on. I in fact had lost connectivity. I could fix this by clicking the network troubleshooting button. Wifi would work for 1-2 days or sometimes only for a few minutes before it went out again. I tried deleting and letting windows re-detect the wireless card. I tried upgrading the driver. Still the same issues. I finally upgraded to version 2004 yesterday thinking that would overwrite whatever corruption that was caused by the crash but I just got my first connectivity drop a few minutes ago. What's different now is that wireless actually came back on it's own which is a good thing. This is the message I am seeing in the log. "The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset x time(s) since it was last initialized." Source is 'NDIS' and the event id '10400'. What is causing this and how can I fix?

EDIT: Just did it again. This is so frustrating!

Last edited:
Sure, here's one - the explorer crash was caused by the WiFi going south. Is it a card you can try reseating?
Yeah, I've tried it. I don't know for sure but it seems to work longer (like a day) when I actually reboot the computer versus doing the troubleshooting/card reset thing. Doing the wifi reset, it might work for a while or it might go back out almost immediately. I've got a couple of network cards coming in. I hope that is the problem because I would hate to have to reinstall windows. It just updated to 20H2.

Yeah, a good course of action is to try a new card (which you are). Flaky network cards just drop whenever they feel like it and there's seems to be no rhyme or reason. Now if the new cards exhibit the same behavior it's time to look at your router or conceivably the slot the card is plugged into. I doubt windows is the culprit. Honestly, I'd put my money on the card just went bad.

where did you get the driver for it, from intels site or windows update?

I had the same issue with a laptop. Check that in device manager you have the right settings with the router you are using and disable power management there too. Settings: b/g can use only 2.4 Ghz frequency n : can use both frequencies (2.4GHz and 5Ghz). I did not have these set correctly and the laptop would always disconnect because it did not match my router.

I'm pretty sure it was the network card at this point. I bought two cards. The first one is a Broadcom N card. I ran it for two days with no problems. The second was the same as the original card. Now I've been running it for three days so far. I haven't noticed a dropped connection but I did notice a couple of entries in event viewer for 10400 (reset). Again I haven't noticed any dropped connections. Also I didn't notice an entry for the auto restart of the card like it does sometimes when it resets but it continues to work. So I don't really know what to make of the log entries here.

EDIT: As far as drivers, I was/am using Intel drivers.

Back