Wireless cable in apartment

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Grizzle, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Grizzle

Grizzle Limp Gawd

How would I be able to see if anyone surrounding my apartment is using my connection?

I'm getting serious packet loss, and I dont know why.

I dont even know if that would cause the problem, but in any event...How would I check?

Thanks in advance.

2. wankrtron

wankrtron Gawd

i was just about to post something similar, so i hope you dont mind me expanding on this a bit... ill help you out first though. ive got cable, and a wifi connection. i FEEL it is pretty safe as i have turned on MAC addressing. no one can connect to my wireless (or even one of the wired ports) without their MAC address being in my router. first thing id recommend you go grizzle is turn on MAC addressing. HOWEVER: do not put the MAC address of the router in and then turn deny all others on. i did that and the only thing it would let see it was itself. time for a hard reset. :p

my next question would be how do you know you are getting mad packet loss? are you monitoring it some how? if so that would lead to the answer you and i both want.

you can however, in most routers connect to its IP, log on as the admin, then look at the on going connections through its stats. some will even alert you in one way or another if someone joins your network. i have a dlink, and it will let me see the MAC address of the on going connections, and how long they have been connected, and even the amount of traffic going to them, but it will not alert me in any way.

i want to know if anyone out there knows of any programs that we can use to:

1. MONITOR what traffic is going through our routers....the wireless. i KNOW what is going throgh the hard wired side. ;)
    and
    2. i want to know if any of you know of programs that will allow me to see/discover vulnerabilities in my wireless network. sounds bad, but i dont really want to hack it, i just want to know it is secure.

i would also like to know if there is a way to limit bandwidth on a dlink router so my roomates dont hog it all with the crap they have goin through the router.

if any of you wiser network gurus could help us out. thanks would be in order.

dindnt mean to highjack your thread grizzle. hope i helped you though.

3. Grizzle

Grizzle Limp Gawd

Not a problem, all good questions.

I really dont know if it's packet loss or not...

Here's my main problem. I play call of duty online and my ping is usually around 50. Now, to the same server, it's 115-120

Even my ventrilo lags.

Any ideas?

4. ComputerBox34

ComputerBox34 Right in the Box

Well, a there is a nice little free app to monitor your wireless connection called AirSnare .

This will monitor anybody who comes onto your network and if they do come onto your network, you can kick them off and text message them saying "Get the **** out, you ******" or something like that. :D Try it out, I find it useful in close quater living such as cities and apartment buildings. A question for you...do you have cordless phones around the house? Sometimes they can majorly interfere with your wireless network. Do you use 802.11B or G?

5. wankrtron

wankrtron Gawd

same thing in my situation but its battlefield veitnam. i found that when my roomate isnt around i get a lot better pings. it seems that he is dling stuff and sucking bw. from what i saw he is dling the updates for windows 98. shesh. upgrade man upgrade. thats why i wanna know about bw limiting, and i wanna know about wireless security just because i have a wireless network.

thanks for the ap. i got a question though. im assuming it will run on a pc only. ive got a powerbook and a amd64 pc. if i run it on the pc will i be able to see stuff since im hardwired directly to the wireless router or does it require a wireless nic? ill give it a shot and see what happens.

i have a coordless phone 2.4ghz. freq. my wireless router is 802.11b and my airport card is the same. roomates nic is 802.11g. can a corrdless phone really jack your wireless bandwidth?

6. ComputerBox34

ComputerBox34 Right in the Box

Your First Question:

I belive that if the PC is hardwired to any hub that's connected to your Wireless Hub in some way, it should work fine. I think it also works on AMD64, but I guess you'll find out...

2nd Question:

DEFINITLEY, the phone could be screwing up your whole network. I would turn it off the phone and cut the power to the base station for a day and see what happens. Some of my 2.4 GHZ phones completly screw up my B and G wireless network. My 900 MHZ phones don't seem to have a problem.

7. wankrtron

wankrtron Gawd

bummer. got to looking at the site, and it looks like it isnt going to work. linky. it says that i need a wireless nic. i havent had the balls to just instlal and try it. ( i have a tendency to be able to "break" windows os real easily :D) so im gonna try to look around a bit. id love something like that, that i could run on my pc and it would send me live stats to a little window. if you know of anymore, drop em here. thanks for that link. if only i had a windows based lappy.

8. jimnms

jimnms Gawd

I suggest turning off the wireless radio and seeing if it improves first. If it does, then start tracking down who's stealing your bandwidth.