Wireless bridge

nick_sabatino

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to set up a couple desktops in a room that can't be reached with CAT5, so I thought that rather than buying wireless cards for each, it might be better to go Wireless Bridge > Switch > Computers.

I have one of those D-Link 'Gaming Routers', a DGL 4300. Would something like this or this work? Does anyone know the difference between them?

Thanks,

-Nick Sabatino

would buying a cheap wireless nic and a cheap switch and turn one of the PCs into a wireless bridge be an option?

Those should work... The "gamer" version also does 802.11a, and might come with a couple of additional goodies. There's an SMC which will probably work as well, giving the "108 Mb/s" support.

I've used a Netgear WGPS606 and a couple of Linksys WRT54G(L) with DD-WRT running in "client bridge mode" for this purpose. They do the same job, and provide a built-in switch, but don't support the proprietary "turbo" "108" mode.

The Buffalo WHR-G54S or a Linksys WRT54GL would be recommended for this, with their pros (more flexibility, features, etc.) & cons (tricky thrid-party firmware installation, no "108") if you're interested.

Back