Wireless bridge help.

Bop

2[H]4U
I have an Xbox 360, PS3, and a Wii which I want to hook up via wired ethernet and bridge wirelessly. My current router is a D-Link DGL-4300 gaming router,

I have a poor signal in my basement, but with a directional antenna I can get 54mbps which is why I want to use a router bridge.

I want to use another router as the bridge but I'm not sure which router I can use or how I can go about this.

I'd appreciate any help.

bridging wireless connections (ie: one WiFi AP connecting wirelessly to another WiFi AP) can get very quirky. most manufacturer websites (i can confirm this for linksys, d-link, and netgear) have some instructions and recommendations that get to be model-specific.

if you've already bought one or both AP's, then hit up the manufacturers' support section on their site(s). otherwise, do some digging on this first through their support and forums area for any guidelines or walkthroughs on doing this.

Another option would be to use a signal booster between the main router and the consoles. That is if they have wireless built in.

There are several off-the-shelf bridges which should be able to do this. More powerful and flexible, though with more effort would be a Buffalo WHR-G54S or a Linksys WRT54GL or a number of alternatives which can also fully run DD-WRT or a similar third-party firmware (in "client bridge" mode).

A pair of DD-WRT driven routers doing bridging would also support power amplification on both ends. This is not as good as better antennae, but is an option.

D-Link and SMC have "Super G" bridges / APs / gaming adapters, all of which may (or may not -- check each case) support a "client bridge" mode and allow multiple clients via at most a switch at the back. This is an FYI, there's no real guarantee that "Super G" will give you a plus instead of a minus in your environment.

For your particular usage, you'd need to check details on the antennae -- not all are replacable.

There are tons of posts here and elsewhere on wireless bridging -- try a search.

Wire is always better though, where possible.

Back