wireless antenna, long range

jf1288

Limp Gawd
Is there any way to buy a very big wireless antenna (not rediculously huge but much bigger than the standard diddles)?

I want to be able eo either plug something into a usb port on my lappy or into a wireless card that I can buy for it. The card would have to use the standard side slots (PCIAA or something like that I think).

I drive around a lot with my laptop and want to make it much easier to find a good network.

jf1288 said:
I drive around a lot with my laptop and want to make it much easier to find a good network.

Drive around? With a laptop? Wireless networks? War-driver!

I kid, I kid.

What you should be looking for is an 8dB omni-directional antenna that will fit Orinoco Gold cards. That's what you want.

Thanks. I found someone selling their card and antenna, but I'm not sure which antenna it is. Either way, good advice. Thanks.

BoyBlunder said:
What you should be looking for is an 8dB omni-directional antenna that will fit Orinoco Gold cards. That's what you want.

does that allow you to browse farther wireless connections other than your built-in broadcam 54g adaptor does?

i am asking because i am interesting to have longer range access to avaiable networks, since not everywhere i go there is avaiable wireless internet access.

a search on newegg showed many results, but not sure which one will do the trick.

an orinoco gold classic from newegg, with its internal antenna, can access neighbors wifi 3 doors down, clearly. nothing else ive used yet can do that. an external antenna will only improve that range

... what about, 140 feet away, still in the same home but through 4 walls?

My D-Link is rated at like 300 (in home) but it sure as heck aint going that far in mine.

Its not going through brick or anything just drywall.

i got a new network D-Link, i bought off newegg and My connection from that far away is freaking horrible. it looses connection every few minutes...

:( should i buy this to help me?

It's a little bit OT, but are there any good orinoco cards with 802.11g support?

edit: and hopefully supported with say a wildpacket's driver for umm....wep security testing....

Update on my order. JR shipped it yesterday morning and it is scheduled to be delivered on Friday. Quick service from them so far.

Back