Wireless and Wired together? How...

visick

2[H]4U
This is my dilemna...

I've already got a wired network in my house. Cable connection.
I've got a Centos box acting as a firewall.
And a 5 port switch which I plug my XP box in to.

I've got 2 TiVo boxes. I ran Cat5 cable to my entertainment system for the 1st TiVo but realy don't feel like running it again to my other 2nd TiVo.

I purchased the wireless adapter from TiVo and also purchased a wirless router from the Egg. (Netgear Super G)

How can I keep my network wired but still have:
A. My 2nd TiVo receive a wireless signal for updates
and
B. A wireless signal so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
visick

Instead of a wireless router, you should've purchased a wireless access point...

Instead of a wireless router, you should've purchased a wireless access point...

You can just disable the DHCP server on the router, give it a fixed LAN IP outside of the main DHCP range, and connect internet to one of its switch ports. It will then act like an AP.

or configure the router to act as a wireless bridge.

You can do this with the WRT54g for sure. Many other routers also support this.

Why not just get a small switch for the one line you ran to the first tivo? Then you could plug both in direct and not bother with wireless at all.

Asgorath and movax,
How would I do this?

(network novice here...My buddy helped me setup my home network)

You can just disable the DHCP server on the router, give it a fixed LAN IP outside of the main DHCP range, and connect internet to one of its switch ports. It will then act like an AP.

True, but he needs to go wireless -> Wired , your solution will give him wired -> wireless . Sounds similar, but he needs a wireless bridge.

Best solution in my experience is to buy a WRT54g. Then flash it with DD-WRT. Then read on the DD-WRT site on how to configure it as a wireless bridge and do so. Bam! You have a link that works better than a WET54g.

Go buy the WRT54g and then come back and we'll give more help configuring it.

Back